The Sorting Ceremony (p2)

We were at the front of the great hall waiting in line to get sorted into our houses. I didn't really have any idea what house I was going to get placed into since my mom was in Slytherin and my dad in Hufflepuff which were two very different houses. I didn't have any preferences either.

About 10 people had already been sorted when Professor McGonagall called "Draco Malfoy!"

I soon recognized him as the blonde-haired boy I had seen on the train. I watched as McGonagall simply hovered the sorting head above his head before it called out "Slytherin!" 

He made his way down to the Slytherin table. As he walked down the table he bumped hard into my shoulder acting as though I didn't exist. I scoffed but then I heard McGonagall call my name. I nervously walked to the stool and I soon found out that the fact that I hadn't the slightest idea what house I was going to be put in didn't make me calm as it had done before but now was making me so nervous I could feel myself turning red quickly.

McGonagall placed the hat on me and it soon began to speak "Mmm...y/n y/l/n.... and what should I do with you...." The hat began as I shuffled nervously under it.

"You seem to possess qualities from all houses here.... yes....you have some nerve and courage in you.... you are kind and just....you are extremely intelligent and witty... but you can also be cunning and ambitious." The hat mumbled on. I quite agreed with what he was saying but this only made me more nervous. 

It had been a while that I had been sitting with the hat on my head and I soon saw that the faces around me which seemed uninterested at first were now staring intently waiting for the decision it was going to take as was I.

"Mmm...This is hard, I cannot decide." The hat said sternly, I felt a wave of worry flush over me. 

What if I wasn't meant to come to Hogwarts? What are my parents going to think? Am I getting kicked out? 

My train of thought was interrupted as I felt McGonagall take the hat from my head and stare at me with a pleased look.

"Miss y/l/n this is the first time in many years this has happened, oh how exciting." She sounded happy, clearly ignoring the worried look that was plastered on my face.

"But-" I stuttered.

"Go sit next to Hagrid won't you darling," she instructed as she pointed at a seat next to the tall broad man I had met with my mother at Diagon Alley.

I nervously made my way to the seat next to Hagrid and realized that all the professors were wearing the same expression as McGonagall, even Dumbledore. I sat next to Hagrid and turned to face the hall only to find all students staring at me, some with looks of disbelief whispering to each other about what had just happened.

Soon I saw all students tucking into the food that had just appeared in front of them. I caught a glance at Harry who was sitting with Hermione, Ron, and Neville who were all staring at me with an apologetic look on their faces. 

I was forced to eat with the teachers but I hardly ate anything, as the feeling at the pit of my stomach only intensified at the thought that I would probably be going back home as soon as the feast was over. I heard Hagrid trying to comfort me but I could hardly pay attention to him only nodding at smiling at times.

Dumbledore then dismissed all the students to their common rooms and I looked around waiting for further instructions. Soon enough Mc Gonagall walked towards me...

"Now dear if you could please follow me," she instructed kindly, still wearing the same pleased expression as before.

I followed her through the castle for what felt like ages before we reached a large gargoyle.

"Sherbert lemon," she called, the gargoyle started moving to reveal a set of stairs that led upwards. She gestured for me to go up the stairs and she followed.

"Come in, come in" I heard from behind the door at the top of the steps. I walked in to find 3 teachers and Dumbledore standing excitedly in the center of what I assumed to be his large office. I could see the sorting hat sitting at the desk behind the teachers.

I assume Dumbledore read my expression since he soon after said "Oh yes, not to worry y/n, allow me to explain. What happened to you today at the hall has happened only very few times since the school opened. There are times when a person possesses so many qualities that it is hard for the Sorting Hat to make an immediate decision. Now, you dear, are one of those few people, this, however, does not mean you do not fit into one of our houses. The sorting hat simply needs a little bit more time to see which qualities are stronger within you and will then proceed to place you in a house."

A huge wave of relief flooded me.

"It is so rare that whenever we have a case like this, the head of houses -" he said gesturing to the 4 teachers "will gather in my office to see the final decision the sorting hat makes." Dumbledore continued.

I nodded looking at the 4 teachers whose eyes seemed to be glued to me. I was then sat on the same tool used at the great hall in the center of Dumbledores office. Once more the hat was placed on my head and started speaking again.

"Ahhhh....yes....we meet again....now what will I do with you. You would be a good fit in any house....yes....yes but one house only must have you. Now your mother......mmm.....a Slytherin....but your father....a Hufflepuff.....no help from the heritage then......It's hard to say with a mind so active as yours.....what would you want?" the hat then asked

I looked up only to silently say "I...I don't know."

"Well not much help from there either.....you make this very hard......but I must decide....haaaaa..... yessss I can see.....Ohhh you shall be.... ssssssssss.......mmmm no..... and it will be..... GRYFFINDOR!" The hat shouted after what felt like hours of being sat on the stool.

Professor McGonagall erupted into cheers beside me and I saw the rest of the heads of houses clap along with her, they all looked happy except for one. Professor Snape a professor I recognized from my parents' pictures, was clapping along but with an expression so foul it made me feel uncomfortable.

"Congratulations y/n I'm sure you will be a great addition to the Gryffindor house. Now Professor if you could please show y/n to her common room. I'm sure that would make her very pleased. I don't expect many students to be asleep either, I'm sure they are all curious as to what happened to Miss y/l/n." Dumbledore said as he dismissed Professor McGonagall and me.