Back to School (p5)

The holidays had been quite pleasant, Mom and I had spent a lot of time together shopping, reading, watching movies. Dad was home more often but the few times he was with us he seemed quite stressed with work. Dad and I used to have such a close relationship before he started working at the ministry and I missed doing activities with him.

During the holidays Neville came over a few times with his grandma and I helped him out with his homework a little. I also wrote to Harry, Ron, Hermione, Seamus, and Dean but I only got a reply from a few of them. I found it fairly weird that Seamus had only written to me very few times compared to the number of letters I had sent him. 

At the end of last year, I was under the impression we had become pretty close. What surprised me even more though was that I had received a letter from Draco Malfoy. Well, I wouldn't quite call it a letter but he wrote to me. I had read it a couple of times since I had received it since I really wasn't sure what to reply. 

Dear y/n 

I've done all my Advanced Potions homework, it was fairly easy. You shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes to do it. I'm sure your holidays are boring, mine have been quite delightful. Father has bought me a Nimbus 2000 and you should be impressed to know that I'll be on the Quidditch team next year. 

Draco, The Slytherin seeker. 

I wasn't too sure what the letter was supposed to be about. I decided on not replying since this would only feed into his ego but Neville had also advised it would be best if I didn't give him the attention he so clearly craved. 

______

Mom, Neville, and I were in Diagon Alley getting our books and ingredients for our second year. We were walking around looking at the shops when we saw a big line queuing outside Flourish and Blotts. We walked up to see what all the fuss was about, Neville and I managed to squeeze through the bodies of people around us. When we arrived at the front of the store we were standing next to the Weasleys, we greeted them and we soon saw Harry at the front of the store with the infamous writer Gilderoy Lockhart. 

I turned to Ron and giggled with him at how uncomfortable Harry looked. I looked up and saw a pair of grey eyes staring at me from the banister. Soon after, I felt someone shove me backward and accidentally hit my head with a camera, before I knew it I was in the middle of a bunch of shuffling bodies. 

I felt my vision blurring and the sounds around me becoming muffled. The situation I was in drew me back to the night I was stomped on at Hogwarts. I tried my best to shuffle past the bodies around me but failed. Just as I felt like I was about to scream I felt a hand grab my arm and pull me hard through the crowd and up the banister. I looked up to see the same pair of grey eyes that had saved me the last time. 

"you should be more careful y/l/n." Draco said angrily.

"I....I...Thank you." I was flustered, I held a hand to the spot on my head where the camera had hit me, trying to calm myself down.

I then saw the Weasleys and Harry walking towards us and before I knew it Draco was down the stairs and starting his usual conversation, throwing rude comments and remarks at anyone who dared to breathe. I rolled my eyes as I continued to listen to the conversation in front of me. 

When Draco proceeded to insult the Weasleys I was ready to put an end to his nonsense but someone beat me to it as I saw Draco's father walking up to us. His manner was so similar to Draco's I understood more where Draco's attitude came from. After he made a couple of comments to the Weasleys and Harry he turned to me. 

"And Draco who might this be?" He asked his son 

But before he could answer  "y/n y/l/n sir, I can speak for myself too." I said with a sarcastic smile on my face. I saw as Lucius' face turned from serious to almost shocked. 

"Ahh, Miss y/l/n. Pleasure, Draco tells me you take Advanced potions with him." Lucius said. 

"I do sir" I replied with a sarcastic smile. 

"Well, you really shouldn't be here on your own. Such a young girl among all these strangers." He mocked. 

Before I could reply I heard my mother's voice behind him "She's not alone." 

"y/m/n, nice to see you here," Lucius said as he turned to face my mother and Neville who was next to her. 

"Wish I could say the same thing, Lucius. Now if you'll excuse me, we have to get going." She said as she reached for my hand and pulled me out of the store. I quickly waved goodbye to the Weasleys, Harry, and Draco. 

As we made our way back home I kept thinking about the strange tension there was between my mother and Lucius. 

"Mom, how do you know Draco's father?" I asked her 

She looked at me with a frightened look on her face and hesitated before answering  "We went to school together honey." 

"And-" But before I could continue I was cut off by my mother. 

"Are you guys excited for school to start again? Neville, I hear you're particularly good at Herbology." She said looking down at Neville. The rest of our way home my mom continued chatting with Neville. 

______

Mom, Neville, his grandmother, and I made our way to Kings Cross station. Once we got there Neville and I quickly said our goodbyes as we boarded the Hogwarts Express. Neville and I found an empty compartment and sat together waiting for the train to leave. 

30 minutes into the journey I told Neville I was going to stretch my legs. I left our compartment and started walking down the train, I soon found Hermione in a compartment with some of the Weasleys. I walked into the compartment; 

"Hello Everyone!" I greeted enthusiastically. 

"Hi," everyone answered back in unison. 

"So, where are Harry and Ron," I asked 

"You haven't seen them? Oh, something is definitely wrong isn't it. They always find a way to get themselves into trouble. They should -" Hermione started. 

But before she could ramble on "Wait, they didn't get on the train?" I interrupted. 

Everyone shook their heads. 

_____

Once we arrived at school everyone was directed into the great hall, and still, there was no sign of Harry and Ron. During the Sorting Hat song I was looking around checking for any signs of the two boys and my eyes landed on a slick back blonde-haired boy, I kept staring for a few seconds and I suppose he felt my stares as he looked back at me seconds later. I quickly looked away hoping he hadn't noticed and realized there were a pair of blue eyes in front of me staring right at me.