The Bridge (77)

Seamus had come up with a plan, I'd helped him plant a couple of explosives under the bridge. We watched as a protective layer of spells and charms surrounded Hogwarts. The statues coming down from their usual spots to protect the school. Teachers unleashing their full potentials to keep everyone safe. 

A couple of us waited at the end of the bridge just waiting for the death eaters to get there. We looked up when a couple of flashes lit up the sky. Spells were being thrown at the protective barrier causing loud explosive sounds to be heard all around the school. I turned to face Neville before grabbing his hand and squeezing it tightly. Our wands held tightly in our other hand. 

More and more powerful spells started to hit the barrier and we could see it slowly start to break, like glass. Neville and I had walked forward and were face to face with hundreds of death eaters waiting for their opportunity to enter. And then there it was. The layer was gone. 

Neville and I ran as fast as we could back through the bridge waiting to get to the spot where we had planted the explosives. We dodged spells that were flying past our heads and bodies. Finally, we got there, Neville threw a spell to his right and I to my left while we kept running just hoping that our plan would work. 

We knew it had once we heard loud explosions and I looked back slightly to see the bridge quickly start to collapse behind us. Neville and I ran faster and now I could see Ginny, Seamus, Parvarti, and a couple of other DA members waiting for us at the end. I turned to face Neville as we ran, and I knew we both thought we weren't going to make it, Suddenly Neville threw a spell at me causing me to fly forward. 

Seamus grabbed my arm and dragged me to safety as we watched the bridge collapse inches away from us taking Neville with it. My heart stopped, I couldn't fully believe what had just happened, I kept looking at the fallen bridge waiting for something to happen. Then there it was. Neville's hands emerged grabbing a hold of the bridge. 

"That went well..." He groaned. 

I let out a shaky laugh before getting up, and between Seamus and I helped Neville up. 

Now we were running back towards the castle where everything was worse than I expected. There were trolls, werewolves, acromantulas, and any sort of creatures you could think of in the fight. As soon as we approached the area we were forced to throw spells here and there to protect ourselves. 

Soon we were separated. I ran inside the castle while I kept fighting. I watched in horror as hundreds of students and teachers around me were killed. My mind kept thinking about my friends and family, wondering if I would find them laying lifeless somewhere around the castle. I also kept thinking about Draco, was he here? Was he fighting? Was he fighting with Voldemort or with us? 

As I kept running I stopped for a second to look around me, trying to work out my next move when I felt a blow to my side. I fell on my knees and looked up to see Dolohov pointing his wand at me. He threw a nonverbal spell my way and suddenly I couldn't breathe. It felt like an invisible rope was being tied around my neck, getting tighter and tighter by the second. 

I lifted up my wand ready to stun him but I was about to lose consciousness, then I finally managed to get a huge breath of air in my lungs. I saw Dolohov lying motionless in front of me but I knew he wasn't dead. I felt someone help me up and I turned to see Theo. 

"I told you we should stick together." He gave me a smile. 

"Thank you." I quickly told him before we kept running together and fighting off more death eaters. 

We kept running and now we found ourselves outside once more. This time I had an eye on Lavander and Parvarti but Seamus and Neville were still out of sight as well as the rest of the DA. I kept throwing spells and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the trio running through the debris. I noticed they were trying to get inside the castle. 

I assumed Harry knew where this mysterious object was hidden and was headed in its direction. I got distracted as I saw them nearly get hit several times that I didn't notice when Fenrir Greyback jumped towards me ready to attack. Lavender threw a spell towards him missing him and he was now headed for her. 

I ran to her aid but was yanked back by arms grabbing my hair and pulling me down. I saw Yaxley point a wand at my face and I lifted my wand quickly throwing a non verbal spell at him and causing him to fly backwards. Harry and Hermione ran to help me up and once I looked to Lavander it was too late. 

Hermione threw a spell at Fenrir sending him flying backwards and I ran to Lavander's lifeless body. 

"I'm so sorry." I cried to her cupping her cheek but was then dragged away by the Theo and the trio. 

"We need to get to the room of requirements!" Harry yelled as we kept running. 

I nodded quickly and Theo and I kept running with them. We finally got there and we rushed in. The room looked the same as when Draco and I came in here to fix the vanishing cabinet and spend countless nights in. 

"What are we looking for?" I asked Harry. 

"Rowena Ravenclaws diadem. It has to be in here somewhere." He urged us. 

"Accio Diadem." I said as I lifted my wand knowing nothing would happen. Everyone turned to face me. "It was worth a shot." I shrugged as we kept looking. 

We then heard footsteps behind us and I felt my breath hitch at who we saw.