CHAPTER 1•12

Night of a Thousand Stars

Dawn was shivering, the cold air swirling against her skin as she glared at Beifong's face as she was watching her closely. "You should be able to make a flame. Your grandmother and grandfather could, so I know you're faking, Dawn." She called out and Dawn allowed her eyes to turn a pale shade of grey as she allowed a small flame to escape her mouth and her shivering stopped as she could feel the flames heat around her.

"You can't keep me here forever." She breathed out angrily, and Chief Beifong rolled her eyes.

"It's not about imprisoning you, Dawn. It's more of a time-out. What you and Mako are doing is causing the city to go into a war." She tried to say and Dawn rolled her eyes.

"You don't understand. This is what Varrick wants! He's playing you." She said and banged in the door as Chief Beifong just sighed.

"Whenever you get your head straight, I'll let you out." She told the young woman and walked away.

Dawn sighed, rubbing her arms and pressing her back against the wall as she tried to remain warm.

There was a small knock, and she looked up to see bright green eyes staring at her. "Go away, Bolin." She muttered, turning away and not facing him.

"Well, this certainly doesn't look good. The door is freezing just from the outside." Bolin said while the girl kept staring at her shoes. "Look, I know I haven't been that good of a friend, but you shouldn't be in here." He told her and she finally looked at him.

"So, you believe me?" She asked and Bolin sighed.

"No, I don't. You and Mako both sound insane blaming Varrick for all that stuff." He stated truthfully and Dawn frowned.

"You are all dazzled by his charm! Get out of the money and fame for just a second and look around. Why would the North come to Republic City when all Unalaq wants is the portals to be open!" She yelled at him and banged her fist at the door. "So get this damned door open or so help me, I'll have your head on a platter!" She growled.

"Yep, love you too, Dawn. I'll see you tomorrow." He said, walking away as she screamed in anger and kicked and punched at the door with all her might.

Her muscles ached as tears escaped from her eyes. "Damn you, Bolin." She breathed out.

She sat down, taking in a deep breath and closing her eyes. "Concentrate. Focus. Get to Korra." She whispered to herself. "Not Mako. Korra." She commanded and she could hear crying. She opened her eyes and saw Korra crying into her hands. She frowned and cleared her throat.

"Korra?" She asked, and the girl gasped and looked at Dawn's fading figure.

"Dawn? What- -"

"No time, I'm in a freezer so I'm trying to focus all my energy on not being cold and trying to talk to you. You have to get to Republic City. It's Varrick. He's about to blow up the arena." She tried to tell her as Korra sighed.

"I can't. Jenora is trapped in the spirit world. If I leave now..." she paused as she took a deep breath. "I unlocked the other spirit portal." She whispered and Dawn's eyes widened.