CHAPTER 1•15

Light in the Dark

"They're over here!" Tenzin yelled at his siblings, rushing towards the four on the ground as they were all unconscious, Dawn being picked up by and looked over by Kya. "Please, wake up." Tenzin whispered to Korra.

"Tenzin, Dawn's not breathing." She told the Air Bender as Tenzin looked down at Dawn's body. He rushed over to her and looked at Kya as she got her up.

"They're going to be alright, but I need to get them into some spirit water right away." Kya said as they took their bodies back to the spirit world and placed them into the water.

Dawn was laid in the middle of Mako and Korra, the girl being the first to be healed as Kya allowed the energy to be moved between the four.

Each time the water passed Dawn's body, she could feel a cool sensation run along her body. She opened her eyes, seeing a bright light in front of her and she gasped from the pain in her chest.

The small spirit watched over her and Dawn got up slowly. "Raava?" She asked and the spirit moves in a slight nod.

"Dawn, you're connection to the me has been severed." She told the Protector, and Dawn frowned.

"So, I'm dead. I'm..." she paused as she tried to come to the conclusion that her life was over.

"Just for now. I needed to talk to you." She stated while Dawn shook her head.

"I don't want to talk to you. Why would you do this? How could you allow my grandmother to go through this?" She asked her angrily as Raava just moved closer.

"For the sake of the Avatar Cycle." She answered. "Every time a new Avatar is born, their life was too little of a time for them to do anything to keep the world in balance. They needed someone to help, someone with the same abilities." She told her while Dawn frowned.

"But I didn't have- -"

"I gave you air, and the next generation was going to get earth." She explained, Dawn furrowing her eyebrows. "Look at how Avatar Aang created a world of peace after one hundred years of war. With Persephone by his side, he was able to do so at only thirteen."

Dawn scoffed and rolled her eyes. "And with me, Korra had lost her bending, and now Unalaq is about to destroy the world in darkness." She breathed out as Raava shifted to Dawn's left side.

"And you can help her. She needs you, Dawn. She can't do this alone and you know that. Let me help you." She said and Dawn frowned.

"But the monks- -"

"You can write your own story. Don't listen to what scared people have told you to bring you down. They might have convinced you that putting a bond on Persephone and Aang was their idea, but it was mine. I knew that you were going to be born and do great things, Dawn." She stated and looked towards the scared teenager. "But in order for you to do so, you must allow me to help you in doing it." She finished and Dawn looked in front of her, taking a deep breath and nodding her head.

"What will happen to me?" She asked and Raava touched her hand.

"You will be the same as you were before, the Protector of the Avatar."