CHAPTER 0•13

Turning the Tides

The whole Air Temple Island was quiet, but on the inside, everyone was worried about when Amon would strike next. Korra watched the interaction of Mako and Dawn, raising an eyebrow as Mako took the responsibility to watch over the Protector and wouldn't let anyone inside, because he thought it was putting too much stress on the girl. It was like he knew exactly what she was thinking, needed even, and the girl watched as he placed his hand over her own.

A day had passed, Dawn was healing slowly and she moaned as she placed a warm roll in her mouth and drank up her bowl of soup. "This is amazing, Pema. I kinda feel like myself again." She said to her, watching Bolin with a smile and he grinned back, holding onto her hand.

Mako felt a tingle in his spine, knowing the girl was lying. "We're so thankful you're home safe." Pema said as she got up and started taking the dishes and the girl stopped her.

"You don't have to- -"

"It's okay, I got it." Pema smirked, the girl smiling and held onto her side while Bolin watched her.

"Let me help." Asami said, helping Pema pick up the dishes.

"Dawn and Korra, I realize you two have been through a lot, but I need to know everything that happened." Tenzin stated.

"Well, first off, Tarrlok isn't who he says he is. He's Yakone's son." Korra said and Dawn nods her head.

"It all makes sense now. That's how Tarrlok was able to bloodbend us without a full moon." Chief Beifong told Tenzin.

"But how did you escape? And where's Tarrlok?" Tenzin asked, making Dawn look towards the table.

"Amon captured him and took his bending." Dawn told him.

"What?" Tenzin muttered.

"Yeah. He showed up out of no where. He almost got me, too." Dawn muttered sadly.

"This is very disturbing news. Amon is becoming emboldened. Taking out a councilman, almost capturing the Protector- - I fear Amon is entering his end game." Tenzin stated, and Dawn frowned, looking towards Bolin and Mako and finally to Korra who grabbed her hand.

As Dawn watched Mako and Korra leave, she looked to Bolin who had a glum look in his face. "Bolin, what's wrong?" She asked, the boy sighing and looking towards his brother with a glare.

"It's Mako. Ever since we were in the prison cell, he has been nonstop about protecting you and he even said something really weird." He said, and Dawn furrowed her eyebrows.

"Spit it out." She muttered, not liking where this was going.

"Well, he said he saw you. Like you just popped up when Tarrlok had captured you like and I didn't see you." He said, making Dawn frown.

"So? I was trying to get help. And I was trying to connect with Korra. But instead I showed to Mako, what's so wrong with that?" She asked him.

"Dawn, that's something soulmates can do." Bolin breathed out, and Dawn felt her heart stop. She looked towards the kitchen where Mako went and looked back to Bolin.