CHAPTER 0•06

It's the Cycle of Life

Morning had rose and Dawn was getting prepared in Royal clothing and she had brushed out her her hair, allowing it to be smooth and straight as she went to grab a water tribe pin and pinned her hair up into a small bun with pieces that hung over her face. She looked at herself in the mirror and heard a knock at the door while she turned to see Tenzin there and she nods for him to come inside her room. He did so and smiled at her dress, remembering this was the one Persephone picked out for her sixteenth birthday dinner.

"You dressed up. I'm assuming you're going to see your grandmother and grandfather?" He asked, raising an eyebrow while she nods her head.

"As the Fire Nation Princess and the second generation protector, it is custom for me to dress appropriately for the occasion." She breathed out, placing her hands together and looked over towards the hallway and saw Korra looking at the ground.

"I'll be back by dinner, but with my grandmother being ill, I only have a few moments left with her." She explained, glaring at the Avatar while walking away and then passing her to go down the hallway.

As she was walking, Korra frowned and looked to Tenzin. "She hates me, huh?" She asked, and Tenzin sighed.

"From what she has told me, you brought up her soulmate's nonexistence, blamed her from leaving you alone, and then said that her protection was not needed." He reminded her as Korra groaned.

"I apologized." She tried to say and Tenzin shook his head.

"It takes more than an apology. It's called time, Korra." He explained and patted her shoulder. "Now, your training continues." He smiled and pulled her along as she rolled her eyes.

As Persephone was traveling on Oogie, she landed at the Fire Nation palace within an hour and smiled happily as she saw her grandparents at the front entrance. "Grandpa! Grandma!" She yelled, running over to them and hugging them both as they laughed.

Persephone was older, her hair grey with her eyes still bright as ever and Zuko the same. The two never leaving each other's sides while they have been together and Persephone smiled at her granddaughter. "Dawn, you look radiant as ever. Please come in." She said, grabbing her cane and limping slightly while Dawn saw this.

She frowned and looked to her grandfather who shook his head and Dawn sighed, but nods her head anyway. The three of them went over to a common room and Dawn was sat down on a couch as she was telling them the latest news of her life.

"You should see them, grandmother, Mako and Bolin are the best pro Benders you would ever see!" She cheered excitedly and Persephone laughed at her enthusiasm.

"They sound like excellent boys." She teased and Zuko cleared his throat.

"What about Korra? You haven't mention anything about her." He said, wanting to know why his granddaughter won't talk about her best friend.

Dawn frowned at this and rolled her eyes. "Korra and I kinda got into an argument." She breathed out and Persephone frowned.

"What kind of argument?" She asked, picking at it and Dawn glared at them.

"Why would it matter? She said what she said and I don't want to forgive her for it." She muttered and Persephone sighed.

"Dawn, as Protector you have duties- -"

"Korra made it very clear that she doesn't care what happens!" She yelled, and Persephone frowned. Her granddaughter had gotten her temper from Zuko, and she could see it in this exact moment as she grabbed her hands.

"What was it about?" She asked again.

Dawn frowned as she knew she wasn't going to get out of this argument so she sighed and blew a puff of smoke from her mouth. "She was upset about this guy she liked, and then it just led to me saying that maybe she shouldn't push people away when she was scared and then she..." she paused while looking at the floor. "She brought up the fact that I was forever going to be alone and I should just leave her alone." She told her grandparents while Zuko looked to Persephone as they had a silent conversation.

Dawn rolled her eyes and groaned. "Don't have a soulmate talk in your heads while I'm right here. That's not helping." She said and Zuko chuckled.

"We weren't." He lied while Dawn raised an eyebrow. "Okay, maybe we were, but you have to know that having a soulmate is rare, Dawn." He told her while Dawn bit her lip.

"Not when you come from a line of soulmates. You and grandma had one, my mother and father had one, even Iroh has one!" She yelled in frustration and shook slightly in rage. "Why me? Why was it me that doesn't have a soulmate and I got stuck protecting an Avatar who doesn't listen to me?" She asked angrily.

Persephone laughed and moved closer to her. "If you think Aang and I got along every chance we had, then you are most definitely wrong." She teased and grabbed her granddaughters hands. "It's normal to have fights, spending everyday with someone can drive a person crazy. But you will soon realize that one day you will miss them." She said and looked to Zuko.

The man smiled sadly and Dawn frowned. "I've been so selfish. Have you been doing okay?" She asked and Persephone scoffed.

"I'm 86 years old. I'm fine." She said and Dawn gave her a look. "There are days that I struggle, but I swear I will tell you when I get worse, Dawn. You shouldn't have to worry about me." She said and Dawn frowned.

"But you're my grandmother and the only other protector I know. What would happen if I need something? And what about Grandpa Zuko? He is your soulmate and you're just okay? I can't lose you." She pleaded and Persephone sighed while looking to Zuko and seeing the tears in everyone's eyes.

"Dawn, I'm not going to be completely gone, but this is just a cycle of life." She breathed out, and smiled while getting up and looking at the clock. "And it's late, we will see you next time, dear." She said, hugging her goodbye while Dawn frowned and held tightly onto her grandmother, not wanting to lose the only person who understands her.

<><><>

| Edited |