CHAPTER 2•08

The Terror Within

Dawn was watching as Wei and Wing were battling against Korra and Bolin. She had her hair up in a ponytail to tag team with Wei whenever he got tired and Korra would win every time with the twin, but he just wouldn't give up. "I can't believe in sparring with the Avatar."

"I can't believe in stuck with her friend." Wing muttered as Dawn snorted and watched as Bolin tried to bend the metal.

"Hang on, I think I got it. Let me just try this." Bolin stated while he grunted, holding the meteor in his hands, the substance not budging. "No? Okay, maybe if I- - ow!" Bolin yelled as Wing pressed metal plates over him.

"Trial by fire! It's the best way to learn metal-bending." Wing said as Dawn gasped and stepped towards him.

"Wing, stop! Bolin isn't- -"

And before she could finish, Bolin bended a small pebble, tossing it just centimeters away from Dawn and right on Wing's forehead as he groaned and grabbed his head in pain.

"Oh, nice shot, Bolin. But I thought you were supposed to be practicing metal-bending, not earth bending." Mako stated while Asami was next to him and Wing rubbed the red spot.

"Yeah, cheater." He muttered as Dawn scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Suck it up, Wing, before I actually give you something to cry about." She said.

"Mako, metal-bending is extremely difficult. No one gets it right away, if they can get it at all! It's not normal!" Bolin said while Korra dropped Wei to the ground and Dawn giggled.

"Nice one, Korra!" She cheered and Bolin glared at the two girls.

"Whoo-Hoo! Metal-bending champion." Korra teased.

"Oh, sure. She's the Avatar and Dawn's the Protector." Bolin muttered.

"Guys, it's time to get cleaned up. Tonight's Opal's farewell dinner." Asami warned them.

Bolin sighed and whined. "Now I gotta say bye to Opal? This is the worst day ever!" Bolin whimpers as Dawn sighed and patted his shoulder.

"You'll be okay, Bolin." She whispered, feeling two eyes on her back as she bit her lip.

<><><>

As Opal left for the night, Dawn waved goodbye, Wei by her side as she looked to him and smiled. "Hey, you wanna go to our meeting place tonight?" She whispered and he nods his head.

"Lock it down for the night." Kuvira stated, head guard for Suyin and Dawn looked to Korra who was smiling.

"We'll head out first thing in the morning." Chief Beifong told them while Bolin sighed and the metal plates started rising up to lock everyone in.

As night had approached, Dawn and Wei were sorting by the fountain, the girl laying her head on Wei's lap and thought about what she was going to say.

"Wei, I'm leaving tonight." She breathed out and he sighed.

"Yeah, I know. But you'll come back, like always." He teased and she smiled, only to frown again.