CHAPTER 0•03

A Leaf in the Wind

Dawn walked the area of Republic City, since the last time she was here was when she saw her brother before his Navy graduation. She smiled at remembering smashing the cake her mother and her made in his face at the water fountain near Toph's statue and her brother smeared it across her own face. She was so caught up in her walk of memories that she bumped right into someone, and she gasped when the boy fell. "I'm so sorry! I should have probably moved." She breathed out, helping him up and the boy sighed, dusting himself off as it looked he might have been crying.

"No, no, it's okay." He said, and Dawn saw just how tall he was and how bright his green eyes were.

"Um, I know I kinda knocked into you, but are you okay?" She asked and the boy sighed, looking up at the metal training arena.

"Well, I was, and then..." he stopped as he thought about whatever happened inside more while he was about to cry and Dawn saw the tears coming.

"Don't cry!" She yelled and pulled him away. "Come on, how about we go somewhere?! I haven't been here since I was a kid so maybe you can show me around?" She asked, trying to get his mind off his training.

"Uh, sure." He said, wiping his eyes and sniffling. "I'm Bolin by the way." He said and the girl smiled.

"I'm Dawn." She said, and the boy stopped as he went to look at her more. Her golden eyes captured in the sun, the pale skin, her wavy black hair.

"Oh my..." he started freaking out and the girl was pulled closer to him. "You're Fire Lady Persephone's granddaughter!" He squealed and shook her as she smiled awkwardly. "I never thought I would see the day where I would meet the Avatar's protector! Oh my goodness! Speaking of, can you actually do super cool double bending tricks, like 'pow' and 'wham'!" He went on and on as the two were getting stared at.

"Yes, yes, now how about we go someplace private so we can talk about that in private." She said and Bolin's face lit up.

"Ooh! I know just the place." He said and grabbed her and went.

Just as they were reaching the Pro-Benders Arena, Dawn's face lit up with excitement and she looked to Bolin who kept taking her everywhere, around corners and up stairs that she didn't even know existed.

As they went up towards the attic, Dawn raised an eyebrow and was sat on a couch that looked very used, but the area looked super cozy and was given a warm cup of tea and she smelled it.

Her eyes lit up and took a sip. "Jasmine?" She asked and Bolin nods his head.

"It was your grandfather's favorite right? I know so much about your family's history, because it always interested me how they were our age and defeated the Fire Lord! Who was in fact your great-grandfather, so sorry about that." He ranted on and Dawn laughed slightly, captured by his enthusiasm and from that day on, the two would consider each other friends.

<><><>

"And in the final round, the buzzard-wasps won with a decisive knockout. What do you say we go to the arena tonight, catch a few pro bending matches?" Korra asked when Dawn and Tenzin were around the table for breakfast.

Dawn's eyes looked up at Tenzin and raised an eyebrow. "You know, we haven't been off the island in a few days, and I haven't gotten to catch up with my new friend, Bolin. He is also a pro-bender and I would love to introduce Korra into a match." Dawn said, trying to ease the tension out of Tenzin.