CHAPTER 2•03

The Earth Queen

Dawn watched Bumi chase after Kai while she showed Tenzin her letter. "Your grandfather sent this?" He asked her and she nods her head.

"He's waiting for my response, but I can't just up and leave Korra after everything that happened with us. My family knows about Harmonic Convergence and all that happened, but I'm still the Protector, not some second grade Avatar." She told Tenzin making him frown and look at her.

"I'm not one to disagree with your grandfather, Dawn. If he wants you home, then- -"

"I can't just leave Korra. Last time I did, I hurt people I cared about and I don't want that happening again." She stated and Tenzin sighed.

"Then you give him that letter, I'm staying out of it." Tenzin said and Dawn nods her head as Korra walked up towards the two.

"It's feels nice to be on a diplomatic mission to Ba Sing Se. What's the Earth Queen like?" Korra asked.

"I've never met her, but I've heard she can be quiet..." he paused to think of a nice word. "Demanding." Tenzin explained.

"This is it, Mako! We made it! This is where Dad grew up! Come here, look! Look!" Bolin cheered while Dawn giggled.

"Okay, calm down. I'm looking." Mako said as they reached over the wall.

"I wonder how many Air Benders are down there." Korra stated and as the passed the first wall, the smell and look of it caused Dawn's eyes to water as she held her nose. "Ugh. The lower ring looks terrible." Korra muttered.

"Yeah, I can smell it from here. No wonder Dad left." Bolin grumbled and they went over to the second ring. "Hello, middle ring!" Bolin cheered and then they got to the top ring.

They landed quickly as Dawn sighed. "Wow. Now, this is more like it." Kai stated.

They walked down to meet the servant of the Earth Queen and Dawn raised an eyebrow. "Avatar Korra and Protector Dawn, Master Tenzin, it is a pleasure to welcome you and your party to the Upper Ring of Ba Sing Se. I'm grand secretariat Gun." The man said with a frown.

"Thank you." Korra bowed.

"Ahh, it's got that Upper Ring smell." Bolin stated as the animals all liked around him.

"Oh, no. The Queen hated animals. We've got to get them out of sight." Gun told them.

"Well, I can just stash Pabu in my shirt. These two are gonna be a little tougher." Bolin told him while pointing to Naga and Oogie.

"Come with me, hurry. I'll take you to your quarters." Gun stated while walking them along the bricked path. "Now, when you meet the Queen, make sure you how low enough. That's very important. And don't look her in the eye, she can't stand that. If any food is served, don't eat before she eats." He said and Dawn rolled her eyes.

"Very demanding." Dawn whispered to Tenzin.

"Oh, actually, I have to taste her food first, then she eats, then you can eat. Better yet, just don't eat." Gun told them.

"Seems like an awful lot of rules." Korra muttered.

"Oh, you have no idea, and I'm the one who gets in trouble when people don't follow them, so please, please, for my sake, just try not to upset her majesty." Gun told them while Dawn sighed. "Here we are." He stated to show off a big house.