44 - Depart to the border

Sorry for being late!

Despite taking as much as his time to spend it with his wife, Wu Zhang Wei still didn't neglect and forget his responsibility as the country's monarch. Regardless of what the ministers said about him, he let them be. He got no time to deal with them at the moment. The most important thing for him right now is Xiu Ying and the problems that haven't been settled yet.

Xiu Ying has entered the second trimester but his stomach didn't show too much. Adding with layers of robe, his slightly bulging tummy could be hidden well. Only his face has a little bit of baby fat on his cheeks and it has become Zhang Wei's one of the favorite part of him.

Xiu Ying's cheeks will be pinched, smothering with kisses or sometimes bitten by his husband. His angry face and glares only have reversed effect as it looks so cute in Zhang Wei's eyes.

The loving couple lives in happiness every day. Xiu Ying did know that the empire is having issues at the farm, port and even the border. Xiu Ying tried not to take much of Zhang Wei's time and asked him to not check on him all the time. His pregnancy is in a stable state due to extreme care from all the people around him so he doesn't want to disturb Zhang Wei with the trivial matter.

Sometimes, Xiu Ying came to the imperial study room to help Zhang Wei. At first, Zhang Wei strictly against the idea of Xiu Ying helping him out as he doesn't want to tire out his wife. But Xiu Ying insisted on staying and giving an excuse that 'faster they settle the problem, the more time they can spend together'.

Hearing this, Zhang Wei can't help but agree. He also wished all the problems to be gone in flicked of his fingers so he could cuddle with Xiu Ying all day.

When Xiu Ying came to the imperial study room, Huang Fei Hong feels rejoice as Jing Yi also tagging along. Long ago before they were an item, Jing Yi would wait outside the room. But now, Jing Yi will wait inside the room. And most of the time, he'll be pulled to stand or sit beside Huang Fei Hong.

Jing Yi feels embarrassed at first but later on, he is already used to it. Wu Zhang Wei and Xiu Ying also didn't mind and the two couples at times tried to compete who is the sweeter couple.

However, their happiness doesn't last long. A guard who was stationed at the border came to report that five thousand armies are marching towards their border.

BANG!

Zhang Wei slams the table, making Xiu Ying flinches. Zhang Wei immediately strokes Xiu Ying back but at the same time glaring at the kneeling guard.

"Who are they? And what's their purpose?" Zhang Wei lowers his voice but the coldness still makes the guard tremble.

"Th- They are from the State of Shu. The representative said they want us to agree with their proposal. If not, they'll declare war." The guard reported.

"Hmph! This clearly shows they're trying to take advantage of us. What do they propose? And for what reason they suddenly proposing to us? It's not because they suddenly want to avenge their loss in the previous war, isn't it?" Fei Hong interrupts.

The state of Shu was one of the countries that were defeated by the Wu Empire a few years ago. They were almost totally crushed by the late emperor and Wu Zhang Wei but in the end, they raise the white flag in order to save their people and not to lose their country.

However, in the next few years, the State of Shu was struggling to stand on its feet again. Improve their economy, strengthen their army, nourish their country's resources. Until now, they're in their glorious state but not as rich as Wu Empire.

"They said... people from Wu Empire was caught sm- smuggling kids and women from the State of Xu to be slaves and prostitutes in Wu Empire. Many children and women from State of Shu had been caught and brought to Wu Empire. That's why they want us to agree to their proposal or they'll declare war as they won't allow their people to be treated like that," The guard recite every bit of the letter that he remembered, that was sent by a representative of the State of Xu to the border.