8 - Stay as my concubine

[A/N: Change "Chen > I" for easier understanding]

Right after the servant announced Xiu Ying's arrival, Wu Zhang Wei asked the servant to let him in but....alone.

As soon as Xiu Ying stepped into the room, his steps were halted for a second when he accidentally met a pair of eyes staring dagger towards him. Xiu Ying quickly lowers his head and continues, acting like nothing happened.

"Greetings, Your Majesty." Xiu Ying bows.

"Rise." Wu Zhang Wei stares at the person who is standing straight in front of him but with eyes on the floor.

"Concubine Li, you must know the reason Zhen called you here, right?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Then, without dilly dally, mind telling Zhen, what is the real reason Concubine Li wanted to be dismissed from the imperial harem? Zhen thought Concubine Li was the one who threatened Prime Minister Li to run away if Zhen didn't take you in, isn't it? Then, what makes you change your mind?" Wu Zhang Wei supported his chin using the back of his palms, waiting for the answer.

Taking a deep breath then releases a heavy sigh. Xiu Ying straightens his back. "First of all, pardon my mistakes, Your Majesty. I know it was rude of me to ask such a thing from Your Majesty. But...this lowly servant of Your Majesty doesn't want to disturb Your Majesty's quiet life. I know, it was a fool to do such things in the past. I was immature back then. I was blinded by my own feelings and didn't realize that my acts were all wrong.

Thus, I would like to ask permission from Your Majesty, please allow me to be dismissed from the imperial harem and let me return to my home. I promise Your Majesty, from now onwards, I won't disturb Your Majesty anymore."

Wu Zhang Wei is still staring at Xiu Ying with his poker face. Xiu Ying bites inside of his mouth.

"Your Majesty, I know, due to my inappropriate and indecent acts before, I've tainted Your Majesty's name and I make Your Majesty feels uncomfortable. But, to repay for that, I'd be willing to accept any punishment. Just please- don't do anything to my parents. They're the only ones I have and they only did as I forced them to do so. Please put all the blame upon me. I'm begging Your Majesty." Xiu Ying kneels.

'No... There's no way he's the same Li Xiu Ying. He acts too different from before. It's like he became someone else... No... It's impossible...' All the time Xiu Ying spoke, this thought wandering around Wu Zhang Wei's mind.

Xiu Ying doesn't know what else he should say to convince the emperor. He continues kneeling down waiting for the other party to speak up.

"Li Xiu Ying.."

Xiu Ying flinched when he was called.

"Did you know... because of what you did, all of the ministers started to label Zhen as being biased towards your father and because of that, those ministers started to look at your father in a different way, negative way to be exact? They thought your father was trying to secure his position by giving you to Zhen as a concubine. Your father had to face their resentment every day. They never stopped trying to find faults in your father. The only thing that keeps your father safe until now is because they thought he had Zhen's favor."

Xiu Ying tries to connect all the points with all the hints given by Wu Zhang Wei, but nothing comes up.

"Do you dare to think what will happen if those ministers heard that Zhen take back that title concubine from you?"

"......."

"They'll think that Zhen no longer being biased towards your father..meaning? It's not a big problem if they.....put an end to your father's life, isn't it?" Wu Zhang Wei raises his brows.