18 - Divine Doctor

[Flashback - a few weeks ago]

Xiao Qing strolled around the palace. It's just a few days since she returned to this place but she already feels bored cooped inside the palace. She likes being carefree, traveling around. Staying in a place, not doing anything, is not her thing. She walks around the palace, going from one place to another.

Xiao Qing prefers not to be disturbed so she only brings two of her closest female servants with her. Since she's still in the palace ground, there's no need for her to drag along the bodyguards.

When she walked past Yanxi Palace, she stumbled upon Yu Li Na and Lin Hui Yin. With a fake smile, she approached them.

"Greetings, Your Highness." Greet Yu Li Na and Lin Hui Yin.

"Rise." Waiting for them to raise then she asked, "Where are you both heading to?"

"Oh. We're going to the imperial pharmacy," said Yu Li Na.

"Well then, may I join both of you?" Both Li Na and Hui Yin slightly frown when Xiao Qing wants to join them. Hui Yin is about to say no but Yu Li Na quickly cuts her off.

"Sure Your Highness. Let's walk together there." She takes a step back then opens her left arm, asking Xiao Qing to take the lead.

Yu Li Na and Hui Yin walk just slightly behind Xiao Qing. It is inappropriate for concubines to walk side-to-side with the royal family unless the royal family ordered them to do so.

"If I can know, what's the purpose of Concubine Yu and Concubine Lin going to the imperial pharmacy? Does anyone of you sick? If yes, you can just call a physician to come to your room. There's no need to trouble yourself walking."

Yu Li Na and Hui Yin look at each other. "Hmm... well, both of us are still in good health so we can just walk. We just want to examine our condition. Are we... fertile or not." said Yu Li Na.

Xiao Qing immediately turns her head, "Fe- fertility? What for?"

Li Na looks at Xiao Qing with a face 'are you kidding me? are you seriously asking me that?'. She lifts her fingers, covering her fake shy smile. "Your Highness, don't you know we're the consort for His Majesty?"

"Yeah...so?"

Both consorts frown. "Your Highness, I know it's been a while since Your Highness return here but at least Your Highness won't forget right, what's the purpose of consorts?" Hui Yin said.

"Just....for fun? Isn't it?" The princess's words are like an arrow stabbed right into both of their hearts.

"H- how could you say that?!" Hui Yin raised her voice. Yu Li Na quickly taps on Hui Yin's back, asking her to stop saying more.

"Your Highness, I think Your Highness should attend the study again. It would be a shame to His Majesty if one day, a prince from another country came to ask for a hand in marriage but the princess didn't even know the rules and protocols of the palace. It's just the same as the prince marrying a commoner." Li Na smirks.

"You! How dare you say that to me! You're just a mere consort and I'm the princess of this country!"

With a sly smile, Yu Li Na retorts, "Your Highness, a consort is not just a mere consort if she could carry the next heir for the throne. After a few nights with His Majesty, in here..." She caresses her flat tummy, "there might be a crown prince being created. And Your Highness knows right, if my son becomes the crown prince, I could be entitled as Imperial Noble Consort or even the empress. So...." She wiggles her eyebrows.

Yu Li Na tried to say that one day, her position will be higher than the princess, so Xiao Qing should be careful with what she's trying to say.

Xiao Qing scoffs. "Ha! Do you think my brother will make you the empress?! Dream on!" Her hand trembles. She can't hold her anger.