7 - Dismiss from imperial harem

Time flies. It's been two weeks since Xiu Ying went home. He feels like he wants to stay with Prime Minister Li and Madam Feng forever and never return to the palace.

Even though Li Shizen and Madam Feng are not his real parents, he can shift the missing and longingness for his real parents to the sweet middle-aged couple.

"Ying-er... " Madam Feng called his son who is crouching on the grass, tending the garden.

"Yes, mother."

"Mother feels so happy that Ying-er stayed here with mother but... is it alright to leave the palace for so long?"

Xiu Ying sighs. "Mother, for an abandoned and unwanted concubine like me, I bet His Majesty won't even notice when I'm away." Xiu Ying shrugs his shoulders.

"But Ying-er... "

"Mother.. Is it possible to ask His Majesty to let me go?"

Madam Feng's eyes bulge. "Wh- what do you mean? Don't you... "

"Mother, it's all in the past. Right now, I don't feel anything towards His Majesty. My feelings for him have died. So, I want to get out of that place. I want to stay here... with mother and father. Can I?"

Xiu Ying knows the body owner is madly in love with the emperor that's why he forced his father to ask the emperor to make him a concubine.

But now, the old Li Xiu Ying is no longer here. So do the feelings for the emperor. Thus, there's no reason for this new Xiu Ying to keep staying in the palace and dragged into imperial harem evil schemes.

He wants to live freely. Doing everything he wants, together with his parents.

"Ying-er... About that.. Let me discuss this with your father okay? Mother sure he'll know what to do." Madam Feng smiles gently.

The truth is Madam Feng also doesn't like his son to live in the palace. She wants his son to marry into a normal family. They don't have to be rich but good enough to take care of their baby boy.

However, when Xiu Ying threatened to run away from home if his father didn't convince His Majesty to make him a concubine, Madam Feng couldn't say anything.

Right after dinner, Madam Feng pulls her husband into their room.

"Husband.. During the day, Ying-er said that he wanted to leave the palace. He no longer wants to be the concubine as the feeling for His Majesty has died. Do you think it's possible to ask His Majesty to let him go?" Madam Feng grips her husband's hand tightly.

Li Shizen hangs his head down, fell speechless.

"Husband... Why won't you say anything? Don't you feel it is better for Ying-er to stay with us? Since the day he stepped into the palace, my heart never felt at ease. That incident before is the proof that he is not safe living there!"

"Dear... it's not that easy to take back the title concubine unless there's a solid reason for it. Don't you think His Majesty will think that we're playing with him? Asking him to take in our son, then suddenly want to back off. Even if he didn't like our son, he still got a face to be saved."

Both of them lost for words. They're torn between giving their son a better life or saving their whole family lives. The emperor might not be so cruel as to kill or punish them heavily but for sure, the treatment towards Li's family will be not so kind afterward.

.......

The next two days, after gaining some encouragement, Li Shizen decided to talk with Emperor Wu Zhang Wei. He is trying his luck and keeps on praying that the emperor won't throw a fit.