4 - Father and son meeting

The news of Xiu Ying woke up after three days in a comatose state and almost died, spread all over the palace in a flash.

Joy to Prime Minister Li and his wife, but it is a misery to the other consorts.

Wu Zhang Wei was also quite surprised with the news he heard from the Chief of eunuch. But still, he didn't try to visit Li Xiu Ying. First, he doesn't want to give any hope to him. Second, it would endanger him more if the other consorts knew about his visit.

Wu Zhang Wei knew that the poisoning was caused by one of the consorts. He already knew things like this would happen when he decided to take those women into the imperial harem. He hated this never-ending drama.

"Prime Minister Li, I heard your son has regained his consciousness and now he is even strolling happily in the market."

Li Shizen stays calm on the outside even though he's cursing on the inside.

'He is your concubine! You should know better about him than me! You won't let me spend more time with him, but you also won't care for him! If not because you're the emperor, I have killed you a long time ago!'

"Yes, Your Majesty. Li Xiu Ying's servant already informed me that my son already woke up yesterday."

"Oh..." Wu Zhang Wei replied nonchalantly.

"You- your Majesty... Won't visit him?" Li Shizen braced himself to ask this question.

"Nope. If Zhen goes to him, chances of him being poisoned will be doubled."

Li Shizen grits his teeth. 'Then, shouldn't you find whose the culprit?! Shouldn't you punish her?! You should protect him! If not because my son likes you, I already brought him far away from this place.'

Wu Zhang Wei dismissed the Prime Minister after saying his pieces.

The Great General, Huang Fei Hong, who was also in the room, watched the interaction between the father-in-law and son-in-law. He couldn't help but chuckle when Li Shizen was already out of the room.

"What?" asked the emperor.

When they're alone, they act casually as they grow up together, and there's no need for formalities with your own best friend.

"You do notice that old man looks like he's going to stab you right on the spot?"

"Yeah. I know. But, what else can I do? He's the one who agreed with my conditions. I told him that I would never care for his son, but still, he insisted. So, it's not my problem if he's mad. He brought the problem upon himself." Wu Zhang Wei shrugs his shoulders.

"But still... Won't you go and see him just for a while? Other consorts, at least you've spent a few tea times with them, but him? I think you only met him when he first came to the palace. And then, every time he's approaching you, you quickly avoid him. Isn't that a little bit too cruel?" Fei Hong raises his brows.

"I can't help it. He was annoying with the way he acted. For God's sake! He's a guy. He's trying so hard to act like a girl. I've seen a few other gers, but they're not like him. Plus, he looks so scary! I hope he won't walk around with that kind of face at night, or else somebody is going to die of a heart attack."

"Hahahahahha!!" Fei Hong laughed out loud as he listened to the grumbles.

He wipes the tears at the corner of his eyes. "But, I heard some of my men said, he looks different after he woke up. He has become beautiful. Even more beautiful than other consorts."

Wu Zhang Wei squints his eyes and glares at his childhood friend.

"Curious, aren't you?" Fei Hong wiggles his eyebrows.