49 - The emperor has returned

-At the border-

Inside the main tent, everyone jumped out of shock. Even the soldiers who were patrolling near the tent, almost stumbled when they heard a loud 'bang' from the tent.

No one dares to utter any words. Two men who came from the palace are kneeling, trembling and almost wet their pants.

The thick wooden table, made from mahogany broke into two parts. The table was a 15-year-old table but for furniture made from high-grade materials, it should be last for generations. However, with one slam of a fist from the fuming emperor, the table's legs snap and it broke.

Wu Zhang Wei's hand has reddened and for sure it will be bruised the next day but he doesn't feel the pain in his fist as the pain in his heart overwrite it.

"Kidnapped..? Ha...ha...ha..."

The way Wu Zhang Wei laughs makes all of them swallow their saliva.

"What's the use of paying all the imperial guards, soldiers and even the elite guards if all of you can't protect ONE PERSON?! If you can't do that simple thing, then forget of being a guard! Go back to your hometown and just be a farmer!"

"Useless! A waste!" Wu Zhang Wei kicks the broken parts of the broken table. Huang Fei Hong, Commander Li Jun and the two imperial guards flinch again. They feel like they could die anytime due to a weakened heart.

"Zhen will deal with all of you later." Wu Zhang Wei turns to Huang Fei Hong, "Make preparations. We'll return to the palace this afternoon. Commander, you take care of the things with the State of Shu. Zhen has prepared the new terms for the treaty and no more negotiations or bargains. Tell them, take it or leave it. But Zhen sure, they'll accept it as this so-called settlement is just an act to distract us."

Huang Fei Hong's brows crease, "Your Majesty means that the abduction of Her Majesty has something to do with the State of Shu?"

"Zhen cannot prove it at the moment but Zhen is sure these two incidents happened at almost the same time is not merely coincidence. It was planned all along." Veins popping out on his forehead. Wu Zhang Wei could barely hold his anger and wished he had wings so he could fly away right this time and brings back his wife.

Right in the afternoon, the troop immediately march back to the capital, leaving the border in Commander Li Jun's hands. Wu Zhang Wei stayed longer at the border as he wanted to supervise the settlement process until it is done but now he no longer thinks it was needed to do so.

He remembered all those problems that popped out one by one before and then the sudden invasion from the State of Shu which forced him to leave the palace and at the same time his wife was taken away. He connected all the dots and came to a conclusion.

It was a plan to steal his wife.

However, Wu Zhang Wei unsure whether the perpetrator did this because they wanted to threaten him or their real reason is his wife. But either of them, they won't be easily forgiven.

"They dare to touch my beloved that's mean they're ready to face my wrath," Wu Zhang Wei mumbles while galloping through the forest. Wu Zhang Wei, Huang Fei Hong and the elite guards use the shortcut, riding through the deep forest.

The troop cannot use the shortcut as it will be hard for them to pass through the big trees, bushes and narrow way with all their things inside the carriage. So, they took a different route. Wu Zhang Wei being anxious has reached his patience limit, so he doesn't want to waste any more time.

The elite guards know what their emperor thought so they gallop even faster than Wu Zhang Wei, riding in front of him and clear the way for him. Seeing his elite guards slashing the bushes on the ground and branches in front of their sight, Wu Zhang Wei smirks. 'At least some of them know how to be useful,' he thought.