19 - Imperial pharmacy & Personal Bodyguards

Today is the first day Xiu Ying started to help out in the imperial pharmacy. Witnessed the excellent skills shown by Xiu Ying, all the physicians welcome him happily.

The chief or leader of physicians, showing Xiu Ying around the pharmacy. The imperial pharmacy is also the place where they treated patients just like a hospital or clinic.

Besides the physicians, there are also other helpers in the pharmacy like storekeepers, herb preparers, and some scholars that interested in learning about medication. Experienced herbs preparers will chop, grind, fry, and slice dried herbs according to the prescription given by the physicians.

As expected, even though imperial pharmacy is the biggest pharmacy, it still lacks many types of equipment and medicine compared to hospitals in the modern world. They only got acupuncture needles and various sizes of knives.

No stethoscope, no X-ray, no MRI, no sterilizer. Xiu Ying inwardly sighs. But he didn't give up. If they don't have it, then he just needs to create one!

Xiu Ying is like a primary school kid having a field trip. Looking so excited. He keeps asking about every single thing that falls on his eyes.

"If you want to cut the wounds, you just cut it directly? Without any preparation did on the knife?" Xiu Ying asked.

The physician leader blinks his eyes. "Well... we just passed it through the flame of a candle."

Xiu Ying rubs his chin, 'At least you know how to sterilize it but still what about your surroundings? Operating in this kind of place, you're literally killing the patient rather than saving him.'

"Then, if the patient has a wound on the chest or on his back, which might be hurt, do you have anything that can make him lose consciousness? Or maybe things that will lessen the pain?"

"For that, we combine wine with a herbal concoction called mafeisan, literally a cannabis boil powder. This will make the patient lose consciousness. The duration of how long the patient will sleep depends on the thickness and amount of decoction used." Xiu Ying nods understood.

'Thank God they got anesthesia. I can't imagine being cut open when you're wide awake.'

The leader of the physician continues explaining the herbs and their function. Mostly, the decoction used will be mixed with licorice (gan cao), astragalus (huang qi), aconite (fu zi), rhubarb root (da huang), cinnabar (zu sha), and ginseng. These six herbs are widely used as they can help to cure many diseases.

It takes half a day to explore the whole pharmacy. Xiu Ying was given his own place in the pharmacy where he can do whatever he wants.

Can't get rid of his love for books and thirst for new knowledge, Xiu Ying started to read books regarding medicine. Immersed in his reading, Xiu Ying didn't realize someone secretly came just to take a look at him.

......

A few days had passed and the same routine keeps going in a circle. But Xiu Ying feels happy. At least, he got something to do.

Xiu Ying always returns to his room when it is almost dinner time. He takes a quick bath and changed into nightrobes. However, when he stepped out of the bathroom, he immediately froze.

"Gr- greetings, Your Majesty." Xiu Ying folds his hands to the front and bows. His wet hair flowed down to his side as he lowers his head.

Looking at the glowing fair skin with a slight flush on the face, those wet hair, adding with the nice smell from the fragrance water bath, Zhang Wei having a hard time controlling himself. His Little Zhang Wei almost says hello but he quickly had to think about morning court and Yu Li Na to make Little Zhang Wei calms.