50 - Interrogation

Beware of errors!

As the emperor ordered to search around the palace ground, Huang Fei Fong as the Great General leads his armies and imperial guards to carry out the order. 

With a large number of men, it is faster and easier to explore the huge place. He divided those men into a few groups and each group must consist both from the army and also imperial guards. He trusts his men but not the imperial guards. Those guys are easily bribed by the ministers. 

Huang Fei Hong warns them to meet and tell him first if they ever found anything suspicious. Don't go to the main hall directly. Every proof and evidence must pass through his inspection.

Huang Fei Hong strolls around while looking here and there. Suddenly one of his men running towards him. 

"General! General!" 

"What is it? Any clues?" Fei Hong asked urgently but still, he remains his stoic face. 

"We found some clothes remnants inside a burner."

"Take me there." 

Both of them rushed to the place where the burner was. When they arrived, two armies were trying to sort out the ashes and some other remnants that didn't burn. They leave out the pieces of unburnt clothes and clean up the mess right after it.

Huang Fei Hong squats in front of the remnants pick them up and carefully examines them. 

At a first glance, this kind of cloth is for sure doesn't belong to the lowly servant as it was a high-grade material. Huang Fei Hong keeps examining another two pieces but nothing could prove it belonged to Xiu Ying. Until the fourth piece, Huang Fei Hong smirks. 

A phoenix embroidery. 

No one else in the country could embroider a phoenix on their robe, except the empress. 

"Anyone brought a handkerchief or small pouch?" He asked the men around. One of the imperial guards takes out a plain white handkerchief and hands it to him.

Huang Fei Hong picks up all four pieces of the remnants and wraps them inside the handkerchief. Then he hides it inside his robe. Such important evidence cannot be trusted in someone else's hands. He needs to take care of it on his own.

As he was just done putting away that piece of evidence, another imperial guard running towards him. 

"Greetings, General," the imperial guard folds his hands to the front and bows. 

"What is it?" 

"Can you come with me for a moment, please? We have found something but unsure whether it could be a clue or... just a junk." 

Without wasting any more time, Huang Fei Hong follows the imperial guard, but he frowns as soon as they arrived. 

They are standing in front of an unoccupied servant's room. To be precise, Huo Qubing's servant's room. 

[A/N: For those who forgot, Huo Qubing made a moment of appearance in chapter 40. He's meeting with Yu Zhougong] 

"My Lord, please," the imperial gestures Huang Fei Hong to walk ahead. Inside the room, some of the armies and imperial guards are still rummaging here and there. 

"So, did you find anything?" asked Huang Fei Hong without dilly-dallying. 

"Here," One of the armies holds out a small pouch. 

Huang Fei Hong pulls open the small pouch and found there are a few round and black-colored pills. He tried to sniff on it and it gives out herbal scents. He can't say the pouch belonged to the empress as nothing can give away the identity of the pouch's owner.