46 - Palace was attacked

Beware of errors!

After a few minutes, Wu Zhang Wei puts down the memorial on the table then leans back on the chair.

"O-kay. Zhen also doesn't want to waste any more time so let Zhen asks you few questions beforehand. First, you mentioned that you want to call for a truce? But we're not really fighting or in war with each other so what's the need for a truce? Secondly, even if we're proceeding with this treaty, Zhen wants to meet personally State of Shu's emperor. How could Zhen made a deal with a mere subject?"

Qi Pei Zhi and his men could only lower their heads when Wu Zhang Wei using their words back on them.

"Next, it was stated that you want to build a pavilion in the capital of Wu Empire. If it is just for a normal but high volume and scale of business, you can just rent any shop available in the capital. There's no need to go so far until building up a new place. Besides, don't you think it will look suspicious as the pavilion is not only a place for gathering merchants, traders or businessmen from all over the place but also it is the most suitable place for gathering, buying and selling information? Everyone knows a pavilion is that kind of place so you still dare asked to build a pavilion in ZHEN'S COUNTRY? May Zhen knows, what kind of information Lord Qi would like to gather?"

"N- No. It- It's not like that, Your Majesty. This pavilion is merely for business purposes only. We from the State of Shu are truly interested in trading herbs and teas from Wu Empire and we're doing it on a large scale so a pavilion is re- reasonable," Qi Pei Zhi stutters.

"Oh really? Then, even if Zhen allows you to build a pavilion in the capital, are you really fine if all the workers are hired personally by Zhen and all of them must be people from Wu Empire? Is that okay with you?"

Qi Pei Zhi was torn between saying yes or no. If yes, his intention to bring his people must be forgotten and everything he did will be known to Wu Zhang Wei. If no, then he's indirectly agreed with Wu Zhang Wei's statement that he wanted to secretly investigate Wu Empire.

Seeing the cat caught Qi Pei Zhi's tongue, Wu Zhang Wei scoffs.

"Alright, the fourth one. You wanted to export herbs, teas and medicines from us but in return, you only provide us with cotton, wool and porcelain? Yes, Wu Empire did lack of those but why would we trade it with you instead of dealing with our usual traders? What makes yours better or different from them? Lower price? Higher quality? Unlimited supply?"

For the third time, Wu Zhang Wei makes three of them speechless and can't retort back.

"And... medicines? Why would you choose Wu Empire to trade medicines? Shouldn't you make this request to South Empire? Be it the cure...or the poison. They got it all."

Qi Pei Zhi slightly flinches when Wu Zhang Wei suddenly mentioned about South Empire and his actions didn't miss from Huang Fei Hong's hawk eyes.

Wu Zhang Wei pushes back the memorial scroll back to Qi Pei Zhi. "Zhen thinks this is unacceptable. It is clearly one-sided and it won't give us many benefits, so there is no reason for Zhen to accept this."

"But Your Majesty, how about our people that were taken by Wu Empire's subject? How could we let it be just like that! It is an unwritten rule that no country could take in people from other countries to be made into slaves or prostitutes. But Wu Empire has broken that rule and Your Majesty want to feign ignorance in this matter?!" Qi Pei Zhi slightly lost his temper and raises his voice.

But he immediately regrets his act just now when Wu Zhang Wei shot a deathly stare at him. Qi Pei Zhi unconsciously leans back, as if he could put a further distance between them.