22 - Getting closer

Xiu Ying is sitting by the window, reading another medical book. Wearing his night robe, which is only a thin layer of white clothes. His hair fell down loosely, swayed left and right when the night breeze hit it. The moonlight reflects on his face making Xiu Ying looks like an angel descended from heaven.

Xiu Ying was too immersed in his reading. He didn't realize someone secretly entered his room and has been staring at him for a few minutes.

Wu Zhang Wei didn't allow the servant to announce his arrival. He quickly dismissed all of them when he arrived at the door. Jing Yi is reluctant to leave but he is powerless to go against the emperor.

With his great skills in martial arts, Wu Zhang Wei managed to make his presence unnoticeable. He intended to surprise Xiu Ying but when his eyes fall on the beautiful figure near the window, he was stunned instead.

Wu Zhang Wei was jerked out of his trance when a cute sneeze sound was heard. He quickly collected himself back.

"Don't sit there with only your night robe. It's cold during the night." The deep voice makes Xiu Ying jolt.

"Yo- Your Majesty." Xiu Ying puts aside the book and bows.

"Rise." Wu Zhang Wei saw an outer robe on the couch, he picks it up. He moves closer to Xiu Ying then puts it over him.

"Take care of yourself. I know you're a great physician, you can heal any kind of disease but still, your health is the priority. Understand?" His words are full of concern.

Xiu Ying was bewildered by what the emperor had just done. He blinks his eyes, then hesitantly nods.

Ignoring the puzzled look on Xiu Ying, Wu Zhang Wei grabs his hand, and drags him to the couch.

"How are you doing?" asked Zhang Wei.

"Good, Your Majesty."

"I heard about Wen Qian." He sighs. "Can you heal her?"

"Don't worry, Your Majesty. I'll try my best. For her fertility, maybe I can help to improve it again. But for the thing that caused her headache, I might need some time to discover and fully get rid of it. I- I'm sorry for being incompetent." Xiu Ying lowers his head.

Since Wu Zhang Wei came, never once Xiu Ying looks into his eyes. And now, he lowers his head even more.

Zhang Wei lifts his hand, gently caressing the flawless cheek and pulling up the chin. Now, they are eyes-to-eyes.

"What are you sorry for? You've done such an excellent job. Even other physicians can't do what you did. There's no need for you to say sorry. You should feel proud of your work."

This is the first time Xiu Ying stares directly into Zhang Wei's eyes. He can see gentleness, care, and.....love.

Xiu Ying quickly lowers his head again, hiding the faint blush. 'Damn you, heart! Calm down a little will ya?! He's just a little bit handsome. No need to be so worked up!' Xiu Ying cursed in his heart.

"Ying-er...." Zhang Wei called.

'Okay, now he's playing the 'intimate nickname' card.' Xiu Ying stays silent.

"Can...Zhen get to know more about Ying-er?" Zhang Wei grabs Xiu Ying's hand.

Xiu Ying frowns. "What do you mean, Your Majesty?"

Zhang Wei sighs. "Zhen knows, in the past, Zhen did so many wrongs towards Ying-er, and Zhen really sorry for that. Zhen shouldn't do that. In the past, Zhen disliked you even before trying to get to know you. Zhen regrets that."