Karma

Mentions of abuse 

All she could remember was sirens, her dad shouting and yelling. The police had arrived at her apartment and arrested her father for charges of assault and other things. She literally had no idea why it happened, or who called them there. It took a little bit, but she answered questions the police had and then they gave her a lift back home. She sat in her room, staring at the marks on the wall. She felt relieved that she wouldn't be dealing with him for a while and safe but at the same time she didn't feel safe. She heard knock on the door, hoping the police hadn't come back. 

To her surprise it was Sam and her dad. She gave a nervous smile and leant against the frame of the door.

"What happened?" Sam asked, pointing to the black eye she had. They both had worried looks on their faces and Miraleigh looked down before looking back at them. 

"Walked into the door." Miraleigh lied, Samantha gave her a look, then crossed her arms across her chest.

"Miraleigh, we know something is up. We can help you." Sam pleaded, Miraleigh sighed and invited them in not particular wanting to say but also wanting to say.

"Tell us what really happened." Daniel had a caring father tone in his voice. 

"A couple of days ago, my father hit me. I don't know who called the cops, but they came and arrested him." They both looked at her with shocked but sad looks, Miraleigh was guessing they weren't thinking it was that. 

"Miraleigh, I'm so sorry." Sam looked lost for words, her eyes doe like.

"Is there anything we can do for you? Or to keep in touch with?" Daniel asked, she smiled weakly and shook her head.

"I'll be okay, I don't have a phone." She told them, they again looked shocked but nodded and gave Miraleigh pitiful looks.

"If you need anything, let me know." Samantha hugged her as she spoke, Miraleigh hugged back staying strong in front of them

"Thank you." She whispered and sniffled lightly. Sam nodded and led her dad out of the apartment. Miraleigh made sure the place was locked up, so that she was safe as she slept. Miraleigh wanted to speak to Robby, she wanted to tell him what happened and just be in his presence. She walked into her dad's room, something she wanted to do because she knew dad would hide something from her.

She saw a box on his bed and began looking through it. There was a photo of her when she was eight, with her mum and dad. She couldn't help but smile slightly, placing the photo on the bed and then continued looking through the box. She saw a letter and gasped reading it. She read over it multiple times getting closer to breaking down each time.

Her hand wrapped around the lamp her dad had on his bedside table. Throwing it at the wall in anger, then continuing to destroy the room in anger and pain. She made it to her own room, sitting on her bed finally breaking down. The bottles she had inside her broke and everything just came rushing out. She ended up crying herself to sleep, she woke up at noon which just pissed her off. She hated sleeping in that long, she always hated when the day was half gone due to sleeping.

She made lunch, reading her book as she ate. Miraleigh jumped in fear, hearing thudding on the other side of the front door. She stood up, placing on a fake smile and opened it. Her fake smile, turning into a small real one. It was Robby, how did he find her?

"Robby." She gasped, shocked to see him. 

"May I come in?" She nodded, opening the door fully and allowed him in. He had a shocked look on his face, his eyes landing on the water stains on the walls. Then the couch which was literally falling apart. He looked back at Miraleigh, swallowing a lump in his throat and sighed.

"Is your dad here?" He asked walking closer to her.

"No, he got arrested last night." She quietly explained, looking down as she spoke then back at him. His eyes widened and he hugged her gently.

"Are you okay?" He asked, she nodded and smiled sadly.

"Yeah, I'm okay." He looked and inspected her face, seeing the black eye was slowly healing.

"Do you need anything?" He asked, she delayed in answering and shook her head. He shot her a look which in return she gave a sheepish grin.

"I'm okay, just a bit down and trying to figure out what I'm going to do." She replied, he nodded and stepped back. He looked at her lunch and Miraleigh walked over to the cupboards as he sat down. 

"Can I make you anything?" She asked, he shook his head and she sat back in her spot. Holding her sandwich in one hand.

"I feel like I should be happy that he's locked up, but I fear that he bails himself out or something and he'll hurt me after I pretty much ratted him out." She explained to him, throwing the sandwich back on the plate. 

"Miraleigh, that's perfectly understandable." He softly told her, giving her a reassuring look.

"Are the police come back around?" She shook her head, standing up to clean the plate and throw the sandwich out. 

"I don't think so." He stood up, walking over to her and shook his head. 

"Look at me." She did and took a shaky breath, she swiped away a lone tear that was sitting on her cheek. She sniffled, taking a deep breath and looked at him. He held his hands out, like a high-five and she just watched him confused. 

"Punch my hand, as hard as you can. Let all your anger out." She nodded slowly, punching his hand as hard as she could and he nodded with a smirk. 

"Again." 

"I don't want to hurt you." 

"Don't worry, you won't." He reassured, she nodded again and punched his hand. 

"You have a good punch." He shook his hands, causing her to smile happily. 

"I'm glad." She chuckled lightly and watched him chuckle as well. 

"Feel better?" She nodded and watched him gently.

"Thank you." He nodded and grinned, his face passing onto mine. 

"How is everything in your life?" She asked, wanting to know how he was doing. He nodded, his eyes and smile falling. 

"My mum is just doing what she usually does, goes out with some guy that is an ass usually." She frowned at the boy, giving him a hug like he does for her and talked him through his issues.