Shadows

Miraleigh had gone for a walk on the beach, wanting to hide from the staring eyes and the whispers. The sound of the waves filled her ears, a smile on her lips and grinned as the sand tickled her toes and then watched her footsteps print on the ground. She always wanted to live on the beach, being able to walk down to the beach within two minutes and being able to hear the waves and see the scenery from her house. She sat on the sand, not caring if she had sand on her when she went to stand up. She stared at the horizon, gleaming and looking forward to the upcoming days. Her heart was beating gently, she was calm and relaxed. Her arm had stopped hurting and her clothes were still drenched in chlorine-water. 

"You seem like you've had a hard day." A male voice reached her ears, she turned her head and saw a boy around her age. She chuckled dryly, but nodded. The girl watched him sit down next to her and cautiously let her eyes scan over him. 

"That's true." She glanced back at the horizon and let the words slip from her mouth. 

"Why do you ask?" Miraleigh didn't look back at him, her eyes just continued to watch the waves and listened to the boy's voice. 

"I can see it in your eyes, you don't look happy." She looked back at him, a small smile on her lips. 

"I was attacked and pushed into the pool by a bitch." He nodded, feeling bad for the girl. 

"I'm Oliver." He said with a smile, Miraleigh furrowed her eyebrows but nodded. 

"Nice to meet you Oliver, I'm Mir-" 

"Miraleigh, I know. I'm your half brother." Miraleigh looked at him shocked, shaking her head and looked at him hurt. 

"I was born in March, mum got pregnant again and had you in November. She stayed with us three weeks at a time, then went to you and your father and then the cycle repeated. She met my dad while she dated yours, they had dated before in college but then broke up." He explained to the girl, who had hatred filled in her eyes. 

"Was she there for you? Did she act like a mother to you? Did she love and want you?" The girl asked bitterly and harshly. Looking at him with anger in her eyes, he knew the life she was given and how hurt she must be. 

"Yes." He stated quietly, she bit her lip until it bled and looked at him with tears filling her eyes. 

"I know how you feel..." He started, but it was a lie. He wanted to help her, reason with her and get to know his sister. 

"No you don't, she was there for you and she loves you. She wants you as a child, she left me with an abusive asshole of a father. They've both lied to me my entire life, at least you had two parents who love and want you. I had no one! I wanted to be able to have parents who loved me! I didn't want to be forgotten like an unwanted memory! You do not know what it is like, to be abused, to be unwanted, to cower away every time your father raised a hand. I wanted to be that child who would be swung into the air, holding their parents' hands and knew they would catch you if your hand slipped. I was my own parent! I looked after me, days I wouldn't live in my own house because I wasn't safe. Never dare say to me that you understand, because you don't." 

She poured her bottled up emotions to the boy, tears streaming down her face. Dripping onto her hands and her lip quivering, her hands shook as well as the rest of her body. Sobs escaped her lips and her throat felt tight. Her heart had broke she was broken. Everything that had happened recently had helped with her outburst, Oliver watched her and felt his own eyes fill with heavy tear drops. 

"I'm so sorry." He whispered to her, watching the girl break down. She violently shook her head and looked back at him. 

"Don't, it's not you who owes me an apology." She ran away, her feet carrying her as long as they could. Her stomach churned, her head felt heavy and black spots clouded her vision. She collapsed onto the sand, her eyes closing and she passed out. 

After Daniel saved Robby from his old friends, they went in search of the girl. His head hurt a lot, but Miraleigh was far more important to him. His eyes caught onto something in the distance, he ran over to it. His heart beating heavily in chest, he sped up and ran over to it and dropped to his knees. He picked her up, swiping the sand away from her face and held her close to his chest. He felt for a pulse, making sure nothing bad had happened and sighed in relief seeing that she was okay. 

Daniel ran over to them, Robby's eyes filled with worry and continued to hold the girl close to his chest. Her skin was covered in goosebumps, she subconsciously moved closer to Robby's chest for warmth and the slowly disappeared. He rubbed her arm, stood up and held her bridal style. She cuddled closer to him, searching for warmth and comfort. Robby got to the car, placed her in the back and hopped in. Letting her rest against him, he wrapped an arm around her with the girl still unconscious and breathing. 

By the time they arrived at the house, Miraleigh had awoken but didn't tell anyone what had happened. She showered and then got into some pyjamas and laid on her bed. She held the wolf Robby got for her close to her chest and stared blankly at the wall. 

"Sam, could I go check on her?" Robby asked looking at the stairs, she nodded with a sad smile and let the boy go up. The door was open, he saw Miraleigh on the mattress and staring at the wall. He walked in, laid down on the ground in front of her and looked into her eyes. 

"Talk to me." He whispered gently, she blinked a couple of times. A couple of tears rolling down her cheek, her lip started to quiver and she shook her head. A couple of sobs escaping her lips, he gently caressed her cheek and swiped them away. 

"Get an icepack for your head." She whispered, a small smile tugged at his lips and he shook his head. 

"I'll be okay." He whispered, she grabbed his hand away from her face and held onto it. He gently ran his thumb over her knuckles and continued to look into her eyes. She looked into his, closing her eyes for a moment and looked back at him. She didn't say anything else, she just continued looking at him. 

"Miraleigh, if you won't talk to me, just please don't overthink things. I don't want you hurting, I know what you're like and I know what that will lead to. Please, promise me that if you need me, that you'll come and talk to me." He begged to her, she nodded with a faint smile and continued to watch him. 

"Do you want to sleep?" He gently asked, she shook her head and then a yawn escaped her lips betraying her. He wrapped his arms around her gently and gave her a comforting hug. She weakly hugged back, closing her eyes and pretty much fell asleep instantly. He gently laid her back down and made sure the blankets were covering her skin. He looked at the sleeping girl, his eyes gently scanning her features. He noticed the tear stains on her skin, he sighed and watched her for a couple of moments before standing up and walking away.