Chapter 3 - Orders

As the echo of his booming voice faded, it felt as though the entire room held their breath.

"I have never seen such an immature group of trainees that seem to not see the need to take this training seriously." His growl sent a shudder through us and I'm pretty sure I heard a whimper.

"Each year I watch my Pack grow and flourish. I enjoy seeing advances made by every wolf. I know that their hard work means our Pack can be kept safe. Can be protected and defended." He paused to bare his teeth, eyes gleaming with anger.

"Yet this year, I don't see that. I know many of you lost your families in the raids twelve years ago. But we, as a Pack, raised you. Maybe we pampered you too much? I don't know. But I do know it ends today. There will be no more parties, no more days off, no more workdays even, until the Qualifications weed out the unworthy amongst you. Only training."

The Alpha glanced at his chosen trainers. "Scout trainees of Violet. Stand."

In a flurried rush, Holly, Callum and a few others stood.

"Go with your mentor. Training begins immediately."

Violet swept through the room, head high. Her students scrambling to follow suit.

Again, the Alpha spoke. "Trackers. Go with Reed." Another flurry of activity ensued.

As the noise of their leaving broke the silence, I couldn't help but hear the hushed whispers. "She's not Defence. What's she still doing here?" I caught the stares of a few people and focused my attention back on the Alpha.

He quickly instructed Coal to take the Defence trainees. Steely gaze finally settling on me. I lowered my gaze, as is expected in his presence, but not before catching the curious looks of the other students.

We had kept this quiet so long. It seemed the time had finally passed for hiding.

As the silence began again, the Alpha moved from the podium towards me. "Leave us." He barked, and I hopped to my feet. Only to feel a large hand land on my shoulder, gently pushing me back into my seat.

"Not you, Charlie. Look at me." His voice had softened, but I could still feel the power radiating from him in waves.

I looked up in time to see the Luna and Beta pass by, sad smiles on their lips.

Jack followed slowly. Drawing level with the Alpha to look down at me.

I suddenly felt very small in the giant room, seated at the feet of two huge men.

It had been many years since I had been in the Alpha's presence and I wasn't sure what to expect. The vague memories of playing chase with him as a child seemed like an outlandish fantasy.

The Alpha blew out a breath and relaxed, dropping into the seat beside me and taking my hand.