Chapter 46 - Not Nearly Enough

Hi guys!

Oooh I made some of you mad in that last chapter - I'm sorry!

I really enjoyed reading your reactions though! They gave me a good laugh this morning. Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

Today's chapter is up a little earlier than usual... It's my wedding anniversary today, so I'm making sure to get this out to you before I get to celebrating! :)

Enjoy!

- Molly x

As lovely as it was of them to want to defend my honor, I could take care of myself, and I told them so.

Shaking with the need to ignore me and do what he wanted, as is usually an Alpha's prerogative, my father growled in response. "I'm sorry Charlie. I know I have no right to suddenly start acting like your father. But I cannot stand here and do nothing."

Grunting in agreement, Holly followed him as the crowd parted silently for the enraged Alpha. Looks of fear spreading through the room like a bad smell.

I sighed and followed. So much for thinking I might be able to deal with some aspect of my shitty life in private.

They were still about 8 meters away when their furious auras ensnared Jack. His head shot up. Eyes widening as he saw the three of us marching across the hall in his direction.

It took Rebecca a further few confused seconds before she caught on, her face paling as she noticed us.

Surprising me, Jack stood. Bravery or stupidity, I wasn't sure.

He held out his hands in a peace making gesture. "Jules, calm down. It's not what you think..."

The hurt scoff from Alphine Wren made Jack grit his teeth and my father hiss through his.

At the same moment, Julian grabbed Jack by the front of his shirt, lifting him a clear five inches from the ground.

Rebecca shot to his side, angst marring her pretty face. "Alpha Row! Calm yourself!" Her voice was shrill with a tang of fear, but her eyes were hard and angry.

She was angry? Ha!

I felt my own Alphine power swirl within me, boiling under my skin and lighting a fire under the emotions of my wolf. I felt her rise to the surface to gleam in my eyes. "Let me show her how calmly we can tear out her throat." My wolf snarled.

I resisted her powerful urging. It takes two to tango. My anger at her paled in comparison to my fury at my mate.

Jack didn't fight back, but he laid a hand on the wrist that held him aloft. "Jules. Come on. It's me. Just give me the chance to explain."

Snarling my dad gave him a rough shake, causing his teeth to chatter almost comically. "Yes. It's you. A player since you were barely beyond a pup. I warned you. She's MY daughter. You insolent little..."

"Julian! For God's sake, put him down." The low voice of our Beta joined the medley. James ran a tired hand over his eyes. "Jack... What the hell have you done now?" He traced his eyes over the scene, slowly edging between Rebecca and I and then back again.

"Men." A huff drew my attention to Anna by his side. She walked confidently over and gently 'helped' my dad to lower his arm. "As much as he may deserve punishment for whatever he's been doing with this bimbo, that is for Charlie to administer. This has nothing to do with you."

My dad growled. "Anna... You are dear to me... But don't presume to tell your Alpha..."

Anna rolled her eyes. "Like I said... Men." She took a moment to remove the fist balling up her sons shirt and smooth the material as best she could. She began to turn away, before murmuring "Oh, yes, almost forgot..."

The vicious slap that landed on Jack's cheek left a raised scarlet handprint. He yowled in pain and surprise, hopping back and landing unceremoniously on his butt on the chair behind.

Anna glowered at him. "It has everything to do with me and your father, however. We raised you a damn sight better than this!"

People were definitely starting to gather to enjoy the show and I even caught a glimpse of Kyle amongst the crowd.

Julian was still shaking with anger, although seemed slightly satisfied that Jack had at least suffered a little so far. He shot a glance at me, grunting slightly begrudgingly. "How do you want to handle this?"

At that moment, Edda arrived out of the shadows. Her scowl withering all it touched. "Are you unruly lot determined that no fun will be had tonight?"

Alpha Holden appeared at her side with a grin. "Oh don't worry. I'd say there are plenty of people having fun tonight."

Jack warily pushed himself back to his feet, ignoring even the Elder as his gaze locked onto mine. "It really isn't what you think..."

I looked from him to Rebecca and back again, feeling defeated. I was sick of all the lies, half truths, and secrets. I was sick of life being so maddeningly complicated.

"Please." Jack fell to his knees at my feet but didn't attempt to touch me. "Just give me the chance to explain."

I scoffed, taking a quick inventory of the intrigued faces around us. Knowing that Jack had given a big part of himself to kneel for me, in a crowd of witnesses, but it wasn't even nearly enough.

"The bond needs to be completed, Charlie." Edda's words followed me as I spun away, angrily moving through the crowd. I rushed from the hall, resentment and embarrassment adding to the crushing weight and pain that only distrust in a mate can bring. The sadness in the Elder's voice almost halted me. But not quite.

The tearing in my chest seemed to open a chasm of buried thoughts and feelings. The image of Drake flashed through my mind, his ice blue eyes glinting with a knowing humour.

I shook it off, ignoring the sound of people calling my name. I pushed my body, grateful for the split in my gown as it allowed me to fully stride. The silken material slid smoothly over my skin as I ran, moonlight guiding me along the length of the river to a lantern-lit bridge.

The Point was stunningly beautiful, even at night. It would have been achingly romantic to walk hand-in-hand alongside the trickling water, had the night developed differently.

As it was, I found myself back in the small room I had been allocated. I slammed the door behind me and pulled the lock into place with shaky fingers.

The ghost of a memory from another night ending like this nearly undid me. I slid to the base of the door, finally allowing the tears to erupt as my heart ached so fiercely that it stole my breath.

Just like that other night, the door shook with the force of a knock. The smooth voice of my mate finding it's way through the wood. "Charlie. Let me in."

A silent sob shook me as memories assaulted my mind. His hot mouth on mine. Our bodies heated and needy. His fingers inside me. The most powerful climax of my whole life...

I ignored his pleading, the knocking and then later, the hushed conversations. I ignored the voices of others dear to me.

I felt numb.

Stupid and numb.

I had known Jack as long as I could remember. Known exactly what kind of past he'd had. But my stupid heart got attached anyway.

I crawled into bed, burying myself into the blankets, with a pillow over my head to muffle the world.

I sniffled sadly. Heart breaking anew at my wolf's mournful song.

Snuggled deep into the toasty tent of my sorrow, the tranquilising mix of tears and alcohol finally put me to sleep.