Chapter 31 - Old Friends

Hey guys!! Please, please, vote and comment! I love to hear what you think!

In-line comments are my absolute favorite, so if you can, comment your reactions for me to enjoy!    😁😍

I appreciate each and every one of you, and every single view, vote and comment so much!   ❤❤

The next days seemed to trickle by slower than any I had experienced before.

The Alpha was grouchy to say the least. Sending out our best trackers to find out all they could.

It was four days before any real news came in.

News that whilst disconcerting, wasn't at all surprising.

Drake had settled at a new base in a factory that he owned.

He seemed to have a front business producing medicines. Even going as far as to procure himself a chemistry degree to keep up the charade.

The chemistry aspect wasn't the least bit shocking, considering the poison he had developed.

I shuddered at the thought of it.

What was worrying, was the size of the operation he seemed to be running.

I paused the braid I was weaving in Holly's hair to scratch my nose absently. It was nice to be feeling a bit of normality again, no matter how fleeting it was probably going to be.

Holly was smirking down at her phone, fingers flying over the screen as she typed.

She had met someone at Qualifying, and they had been 'reliving their boredom' until one of them found their mate.

I peeped over her shoulder, catching 'it's my favourite kind of popsicle 😉' before her screen went blank.

She smirked at me, raising her eyebrows slightly. "Now, I know you don't need to live vicariously through my dirty texts."

We giggled. Moments like this were becoming sweeter and sweeter.

Just as that thought entered my mind, three harsh slaps sounded on the door, followed by the sound of feet smacking against the ground in a hasty retreat.

The signal.

We had all been warned of it. Told of how the Runners would be sent out, with the intention of rallying the Pack when we were needed.

We were already moving, front door left swinging in the wind as we raced towards the Pack House.

My wolf stirred impatiently, sending a nagging desire to shift churning through me.

I had a horrible sense of de-ja-vu that was sending icy fear coursing through my body. The last time we rushed to the site of an attack, it hadn't ended well.

As we skidded into the main clearing, I was surprised at how quiet it was.

Even the birds weren't singing their usual chorus.

A cool breeze blew against my face and I glanced at Holly, seeing an equally confused expression on her face.

No one was here.

Which wouldn't be too strange... Whatever was happening could be going down somewhere else.

Except... No-one was here.

No other Pack member had crashed confusedly into the clearing alongside us.

I glanced up at the large windows to the Alpha's office, seeing only the stark white glare of the sun reflected back at me.