Chapter 10 - Keeping Control

Whilst not a full wolf, my blood means I heal much faster than a human would.

Still, the prescribed week of rest was driving me nuts and I was grateful it was almost up.

My bones had fused, but I was still very tender.

I shuffled up the path to the Pack house. The Alpha had requested a meeting and I had insisted I would come to him, rather than he have to visit my shabby little cabin.

As I was escorted into his office, I chewed on my lip nervously. Alpha, his Beta and Jack were already there waiting for me. Their faces serious.

I hadn't seen Jack since he left me in my hospital room. A small flutter began in my belly as I cast my eyes over his handsome face.

Clearing his throat, the Alpha began to speak. "We have discussed this at length, and I feel it is only fair that you are appraised of the situation, despite the protests of some." His eyes slid to Jack briefly. "One of our trackers managed to corner and bring back an enemy wolf. The situation is much graver than I first imagined."

I frowned, wondering why the Alpha would bother to inform an Omega of the Pack business.

Sighing, he continued. "The leader, Drake, was looking for Jack. But only because he was the one recognised in the Qualifying arena with you. You are the real target."

All of the old fears I had flattened over the years suddenly sprang back to life. Settling heavy in my stomach.

"Drake leads the rebels that decimated this Pack as well as many others in the pursuit of 'half-blood' wolves." The Alpha's eyes were boring into me and I began to feel dizzy. "Your shiftless Qualification caused quite a stir. Bringing you to his attention."

This was it. This was the end of my protection. I had been flagged as a danger to camp and would be told to leave.

A fat tear fell down my cheek and the Beta grabbed a tissue, raising a hand to keep Jack from moving to my side.

"He obviously doesn't know who you are, or he would have killed you in the forest." The Alpha paused, clenching large fists. "Your mother was a good woman. I was proud to be her mentor and sorry for her death. I will continue to protect you, as her daughter... for now."

Another tear slid to join the first and I rushed to wipe them away. I nodded and bowed my head in respect. Mumbling my thanks over and over.

The Alpha rumbled a gruff acceptance and added, "I have increased patrols of the forest. We were complacent, but no more. It is past time these vermin were wiped from our lands for good."

The silver of his wolf flickered in his eyes and he waved a hand, dismissing me. "Jack, make sure she gets home ok."

Bowing our heads in respect as we backed from the room.

Entering a short dark corridor, we were plunged into further darkness as the office door clicked closed.

In an instant, Jack pulled me gently into his arms, comforting me with the safety of his hard chest. I breathed in his woody smell and felt myself relax a little.

We parted, and he tenderly wiped away the last rogue tear that rolled down my cheek.

"Come. Let's get you home." He said loudly and I winced. Eyes flying to the dark wood of the Alpha's door. He would expect us to already be on our way.

Jack winked at me and held a finger to his lips, leading the way through a long maze of corridors, to another wooden door.

I squinted at it suspiciously but let him usher me through to the dark room beyond.