Chapter 17 - Truths

I woke up to the horribly familiar, metallic smell of blood.

Being unconscious was becoming a very disturbing, unwelcome habit of mine.

I bit back a groan as my temple throbbed and I opened my eyes.

Expecting a dark, dirty room, I was surprised to find myself on a plush, burgundy couch with huge gold cushions supporting me.

Raising an eyebrow, I gingerly sat up and looked around.

The room was huge, with a giant four poster bed adorned in the same burgundy and gold as the couch.

A lush cream carpet coated the floor, marred by a huge crimson stain right in the middle, only a few feet from where I was perched.

My stomach rolled uncomfortably as I realised it was blood.

Slowly I got up and walked over to the door.

I began to reach for the handle before stopping and pressing my ear against the glossy wood. I could hear someone talking. Or a television. Or something.

Darting over to the window as quietly as possible I flung the curtains back, flinching as the metal curtain hooks chinked together.

Sadly, my hopes were dashed upon finding the windows had been boarded up.

I shivered as I stared at the wood that barred the way to the outside.

A sound behind me had me spinning to face the door.

My eyes met the icy blue gaze of Drake, who was grinning eerily at me, his face alight with excitement.

My heart stuttered in my chest and I pressed myself against the wood covering the window.

Now that the door was open, it was obvious that the noise I could hear was a large group of men, laughing and talking in the adjoining room.

Fight or flight?

I'd be killed either way.

Drake took another step into the room. He looked at the drying puddle of blood smugly, closing his eyes and inhaling deeply.

When he opened his eyes again, he licked his lips "Nothing like the fresh scent of a kill to wet a man's appetites."

I swallowed, trying to ignore the tightening in my chest as fear attempted to shut down my body.

Raising my chin, I scowled at him. "You disgust me."

His grin widened and he took another step forward. "Hmm, feisty... No pleas for mercy? Ah, how disappointing. Still... There is time yet."

I glared at him, my fingernail digging into my palms in an attempt to still some of the shaking in my arms.

"After your last escape, I spent some time to really do my homework." His eyes glinted merrily as he watched me. "No half-blood can fight off a werewolf and flee an angry Pack like you did. So, I had to ask myself, what was I missing...?"

Pushing away my intrigue, I glared at him. "What do you want with me? Kill me and get it over with. I am not a mouse for you to trap between your claws."

I knew I was playing with fire but couldn't help myself. I refused to give in to my fear so soon. There would be plenty of time for that later I was sure.

Unless he killed me, then I wouldn't have to worry at all.

Because I'd be dead.

Suddenly, a genuine smile lit his face and I had to fight with myself to stop my own mouth curling up in response.

He was very charismatic when he wasn't sneering.

I frowned, reminding myself firmly that he was a rogue. He wanted to kill me. Possibly even eat me, who knows?

"Interesting. But not surprising I suppose..." he trailed off and walked closer, sweeping his gaze over me. "You have no idea who you are, do you?"

Bristling, I growled. "You seem to know an awful lot about me, and yet I know so little about you... How rude of me." I snarled sarcastically, hoping he didn't notice the way my voice trembled.

Quiet laughter filled the room and he grinned at me. "Fair point I suppose. Although I have done my research... It would seem you are sadly lacking in any kind of insight, right down to how not to get yourself killed."

His sneer made my skin crawl as he spoke. "Funny... I would have thought Jack and Julian would have educated you better than that."

I flinched. A sharp ache stabbing my chest.

He sighed and crossed to the couch, strolling straight through the patch of blood with sickening squelches. His feet then making obscene prints on the carpet as he walked.

Settling himself comfortably he continued, "Jack." He seemed to roll his name around his mouth.

"Jack Vincent. Thirty moon years of age. Son of the Beta, James Vincent. Assigned lead defender of your pack. Shifts into a black wolf with golden eyes... He was tasked with training you, to keep you safe from us 'baddies'." Drake grinned, enjoying his own joke. "How am I doing so far?"

I stared at him in shock. My entire body frozen. How did he...?

"Like I said..." he scratched his stubbled jaw casually. "I do my homework. Where needed of course."

I slowly slid down the wall to sit on the carpet. Why such interest in our lives?

As if reading my mind (I shuddered at the possibility) Drake continued. "As for your earlier statement..." he continued merrily, "not that it will mean anything to you, but I will tell you something of me."

His shit-eating smirk made me queasy as he continued. "As you already know. My name is Drake Darran. I am Alpha of the Pure Blood Pack, and we aim to eradicate the disgusting tradition of tainting our blood lines with the insipid blood of humans." He paused to lean forward slightly. "And you my dear... are my new fascination."

I frowned. Fascination?

"What are you talking about? Why would you be fascinated with me? You know nothing about me." I blurted.

Stupid assumption.

A sigh erupted from his lips. "Didn't I already tell you I do my homework? I don't like repeating myself." He glared at me and I choked down a whimper at the anger blazing in his eyes.

Taking a deep breath, he smiled pleasantly again. "So, you are Charlie Maxwell, twenty-one moon years. Your mother was Evie Maxwell, sadly, deceased. But the real interesting bit... is who your father is." His eyes met mine, the grin gone, replaced by a look so serious it made me shiver.

I licked my dry lips, knowing that the human bashing was about to commence.

"Who my father was." I couldn't help but correct sulkily.

Drake stood fluidly. The motion a clear indicator of the fact he wasn't human.

"Enough chit-chat." His hand clamped around my throat, although it wasn't uncomfortably tight.

I hadn't even seen him move.

The powerful aura of an Alpha suddenly surrounded him so strongly it stole my breath. A tremble ran through me, and a delighted grin burst across his face.

His fingers tightened slightly. "Ah, so you are scared of me?" he lent forwards, mouth inches from my ear, "I mean what I say, girl. Your father is very much alive and well."

He drew back, grin still in place. "My calling you human was just a fun little game we played so that your daddy dear would gift you to me, for sake of his honour. You know what a proud man you precious Alpha is." His hand left my throat and he sauntered back over to the couch, once again squelching through the puddle of blood.

Now is really not the time to be thinking about how that is going to stain.