Chapter 53 - The Pros and Cons of Love

Hi guys!

Thank you for staying with me this far!! I'm so grateful to you all and love reading your comments.   <3

We are fast approaching the end... But I do have an idea I have been playing with for a second book. What do you guys think? Would you read it?

As always, I'm looking forward to hearing all your thoughts!

- Molly x

I felt different. A steady thrum of power fizzed under my skin, like the first warmth of alcohol when you have a stiff drink.

I knew that all Elders have some sort of power, often unique to them. Such as Edda's ability to draw out my wolf.

I had searched my mind but couldn't find a trace of anything special going on.

It had been a couple of days since Jack and I were effectively reborn. We hadn't spoken much. His parents had needed time with him, and I needed space. So, it worked out for everyone.

My wolf and I had taken some time to ourselves. Sequestered in the High Luna's quarters, I made sure we had the time and solitude to hash things out. After all, an eternity is a mighty long time to spend with an unreliable partner in your mind.

I understood her reasons for doing what she did. Funnily enough, all the lies and the series of 'misunderstandings' that were my life, made sense to me.

I could accept them, get over them... because I was fairly sure I could have easily done the same thing were I in the various shoes of my father, Jack, and paws of my wolf.

I had begun to see things through the eyes of someone who will have a very long, and potentially lonely, life. If I did not at least entertain the possibility of forgiveness.

Not 'forgive and forget', Because that's stupid. 'Forgive until they fuck up', is much more my speed.

To throw away something you love, such as a favourite childhood teddy, because of a small tear seems insane. To work on it and fix the tear makes infinitely more sense.

Although, in Jack's case at least. I expected him to be the one to get his needle out.

Regardless. I knew I loved the people who had hurt me. And love surely means giving more than one chance. It's what I would hope my loved ones would give me, anyway.

Since the terrifying prospect of eternity hadn't escaped me, I had been thinking of its implications a lot. But even more than that, I was very much stuck in the ever more present horror that was yet to be dealt with.

Too much death had plagued our kind at the hands of that monster.

Drake needed to be stopped. It was past time.

The intercom sounded and I was pleasantly surprised to hear Hazel's voice. We still hadn't had chance to catch up.

As I waited for her to come up the stairs, I caught sight of my reflection in the long glass mirror beside my front door.

The dark sprawl of tattoos that wrapped around my arms weren't the only change since becoming Elder.

My hair had somehow drained of its colour, leaving a bright silver with flecks of snowy white, that exactly matched the shade of my wolf. Today it was plaited in a long braid over my left shoulder.

I wore a forest green crop top with black leather leggings. They hugged my thighs perfectly and made my legs look infinite.

I felt strong and powerful. Like the Alphine in me had been given the boost she had always needed.

Hazel swept though the door, as graceful as ever. She looked me over warmly before drawing me into a tight hug. "I am so incredibly proud of you." She murmured, giving me an extra little squeeze before letting me go.

"I hope you don't mind, or think it is presumptuous of me... But I got you a little gift." The twinkle in her eye told me I'd be getting it anyway, objection or not.

I couldn't help but smile. This woman was without a doubt the most incredible lady on the planet. "I'd be honoured, my Luna."

I bowed my head lightly, a gesture that felt a little absurd now, given our shift in positions. But I hoped it would be understood the way I intended it.

I would always place her on a pedestal. High Luna or not.

She clucked her tongue. "As much as I appreciate those words, my dear. I would much prefer a different characterisation for us." She held out a small pink box, fastened with a white bow.

I frowned but opened the gift. Staring for a moment in shock at the pair of delicate bracelets nestled inside. On the thin golden bands, one had a small gold circle, with a hole in the shape of a heart in it. The other with a tiny gold heart, looking as though it had been cut from the other.

Above them were the words 'A symbol of the precious bond of a mother and daughter.'

She laid her hand gently over mine as I froze, rereading the words over and over. "You do not have to accept that. But I wanted to give it to you. To show you how much I care about you." She bent her head to be able to look me in the eye. "I won't be offended, I promise."

A startled sob finally made it's way past the roadblock of a lump in my throat. "Oh... Hazel... I... It's... You..."

She chuckled happily, wiping a tear tenderly from my cheek. "I will take that as an indication that you like it." She gently took the tiny heart bracelet from the box and wound it around my wrist, completing the moment by putting hers on too.

"I was tired of waiting for your father to make us a family. I'd be waiting forever I think, had I not taken initiative." She patted my arm, tears wetting her own lashes. "We are a family. Maybe with an unconventional start. But still... You are my daughter in every single way that matters. I know your father is constantly worrying about how you see us, see him."

I bit my lip thoughtfully. It was true that just as Jack and I hadn't had time to hash out our new relationship, neither had myself and Julian. "I will find the time to speak with him." I assured her. Happy to see that my words pleased her.

She tucked her arm into the crook of my elbow and surveyed what she could see of the room. "Now. Are you going to show me around your regal abode, or must I look for myself?"

I giggled. Ah Hazel. What a marvel.