Chapter 14 - Talk Tips Tempers

Busy with the preparations, I ended up getting ready at the last minute.

Even Holly was finished before me and she had been working.

Music thrummed through the flat as I finished up doing my hair, accompanied by a very welcome beer delivery from hero Holly.

Finally relaxing, I was beginning to get in the party spirit.

As I put the cap back on my lipstick, I heard deep laughter booming in the hallway people began to arrive.

I took one last look at myself as I prepared to join the fun.

My dark hair was lightly curled and loose around my neck. I was wearing a bright red skater dress with matching flaming lipstick that set off the brilliant green of my eyes.

I grabbed my beer and left my room, closing the door behind me as I entered the crowd of people already filling the hall.

I took a swig of my beer as I surveyed the current attendees. Everyone knows everyone in a small Pack like ours. The faces were not unfamiliar, and yet most probably didn't really know my name.

Holly was the socialite.

I headed through the crowd towards the kitchen and spotted Kyle.

He was chatting to a handsome guy with blonde hair and warm brown eyes. I knew the guy was one of the trackers that had been training with Kyle. Matt, I think.

As I drew close, Kyle spotted me and grinned. Tall and slender, he looked tiny next to the muscular figure beside him. "Hey Charlie!" he raised his bottle in salute.

We chatted for a few moments, Kyle making introductions between me and Matt.

Noticing my empty beer, Kyle offered to collect us all a new one and disappeared, leaving me with Matt. He was sweet and funny, and I found myself flirting with him just a little.

"How long have you known Kyle?" He asked, leaning against the wall with his hand in his pockets.

I hesitated; it was common knowledge that a lot of kids had ended up in the orphanage when families were killed from raid all those years ago, but not everyone liked to admit it.

I opted for the safest option in a half truth. "Since we were kids. We grew up together."

He smirked. "So, did you end up siblings or sweethearts after all those years?"

The twinkle in his eye was not missed and I laughed. "Very subtle. We are good friends and that's all. He's like my brother."

"Shame for Kyle." He murmured softly, a sexy smile on his lips as Kyle got back with the drinks.

We chatted for a little longer about the new duties we would be given soon, when Holly found me and dragged me away.

"Sorry guys, I just need to borrow Charlie for a sec." the smile she flashed them was not genuine and I was immediately wary. She pulled me down the hall and into her room, slamming the door behind us and biting her lip. Eyes wide.

"Charlie... I'm so sorry. I didn't realise..." She began, grabbing my hands and squeezing them.

My heart sunk into my stomach as I imagined the worst.

"Callum is here." Holly said flatly.

I sighed. I had forgotten about him. Yeah, I wasn't happy about it either. Still, it could be worse. I was consoling myself with the fact that he was easily ignorable when she spoke again. "So is Jack."