Chapter 54 - A Friend of Eternity

Hi guys!

Are you missing our main man-whore yet? Is it time he made a reappearance or are you happy to say 'good riddance' 

Enjoy!

- Molly x

After a lovely day with Hazel, Alden sent a runner to summon me to his wing of the Elder's accommodation block.

Our villa-esque home spanned the very top of the cavernous sanctuary. Its carved decks creating a false ceiling to the very outskirts of the hollow and giving us a perfect view of the whole place. I had yet to explore properly, insisting that I take a small room in Edda's old apartments until such a time that Alden felt ready to go through her things.

Since becoming Elder, I had been keeping my distance. Giving him space, even though I had a million questions waiting to be asked.

Holly had been staying with him following Edda's passing. The pair had been getting to know each other, and I knew she wanted to be near to comfort him in his grief.

I couldn't fathom how it would feel to lose Holly, and we had known each other a fraction of the time. Alden must be in physical pain to lose the one person that has spanned centuries by his side.

The runner led me to the right place, bowing as they melted away. There's no way I would ever get used to that.

I knocked lightly on the open door and popped my head inside. I was momentarily stunned to see the most beautiful room I had ever laid eyes on.

Brown leather couches nestled cosily in small alcoves in the far wall, lit by the warm light of exquisitely crafted wall sconces.

The other walls of the room had been carved into hundreds of long shelves, each home to scores of books of all shapes, sizes, and colours. I eyed the thick leathery spines with complete awe. It was a book-lovers paradise.

Alden stood from one of the couches, a proud smile on his lips. "No matter how long the years feel, there are always new books to be found." He stroked his hand lightly across the nearest shelf. "There is freedom and escapism in being a reader. In allowing oneself to submerge fully in the world that the writer creates. Endless possibilities, only capped by the imagination of the author."

He gestured to one of the couches. "Please join me. I owe you an apology for the delay in greeting you properly to the fold."

Waving away his words, I sat. "There is absolutely no need for an apology. Grieving for Edda is absolutely more important than telling me things that you have a thousand years to get to."

He laughed. Surprising us both. "I can see why Holly likes you so much."

His eyes lit with a softness as he spoke of Holly and I couldn't help feel a small pang of jealousy mixed with my joy for her.

Alden rolled his head tiredly, stretching his neck. "Edda would have handled all of this better than me. But I am trying." He leant forward, fixing me with a slight frown. "I have spent the last few days pouring over our oldest archives. Edda and I had already started the work when I discovered my mate in Holly... but found nothing. I went back to see if there was any mention of a previous Elder with Alpha blood."

It was my turn to frown. "Does it make a difference?"

Alden shrugged, falling back against the soft leather of his couch. "I couldn't tell you. It doesn't seem to have happened before."

I blew out a breath. At what point is my life going to settle into something as perfectly fantastic as a bit of boredom?

Benching that piece of information for later digestion, I rested my elbows on my knees and clasped my hands. Right now, we had more pressing matters to discuss. "Forgetting my initiation into eternity for a minute. We need to talk about Drake."

Alden's face became a cloud of fury at the mention of his name. "Yes. We do. It is far beyond the time that we squash that human like the cockroach he is. Along with anyone who stands with him."

"That's the thing. Some of those people don't have a choice. I only managed to resist a little because of my Alpha blood." I grimaced remembering the feeling of being unable to form my own rational thoughts.

"Oh of course." Alden smiled. "I don't mean to say we will murder those who didn't want to be part of his group."

I raised an eyebrow. "And just how do you plan to make the distinction?"

His smile turned to a grin. "Well... before my good friend Edda left me... She had an interesting theory about that..."

Bounding into the room in a lemon-yellow sun dress, Holly stopped short when she caught sight of me. "Charlieeeeeee." She squealed. The high pitch of her voice bounced around the room, loud enough to hurt my ears.

I winced. But couldn't keep the smile from my face as my best friend almost launched herself into my lap. "Isn't he awesome?" She asked me loudly, eyes roaming her mate.

I snorted, he looked so uncomfortable, I almost expected him to make a run for it.

"I'm sure he's delightful." I smirked as his discomfort visibly grew.

"Can we get back on topic?" He asked stiffly, eyeing Holly with a slight hunger that I could tell he was trying to squash.

Fully aware of her charms, Holly grinned at me. She moved to sit by his side, pressing the milky expanse of her thigh against his leg. "Of course, don't let me interrupt."

I felt my mouth twitch. I so badly wanted to laugh. Alden looked as though he had just snorted sherbet and his brain seemed to be malfunctioning as though that really was the case.

Deciding to save what could very well be my eternal friend, I pretended not to notice his discomfort. "So, you were saying? Edda had an idea?"

"Ah. Yes." Alden cleared his throat. "They are using your blood, right?"

I nodded, unsure of where he would go with this.

"Then your wolf should be able to control them. She is their Luna." Alden's voice suddenly appeared in my mind, making me jump. "And I have the perfect way of making sure we get her voice out there."

I couldn't stop my jaw from falling open.

Holy crap. He could project even into our human form!