Chapter 7 - Celebrations

Victory calls for celebration, and we planned to do just that.

I grinned as we left the treeline, finally coming into view of Jack's cabin.

Loud music pulsed from open windows and people spilled out into the surrounding clearing, laughing, and drinking.

Bodies were moving to the beat under the weak orange light that poured from the windows, creating a halo in the small patch of forest.

A row of motorcycles glinted along the side of the building; their owners standing nearby with confident grins on their lips.

"Whey-hey! New arrivals!" Callum whooped and strode over, a smirk on his face. "Always a pleasure, ladies."

I glanced at Holly and we rolled our eyes as we separated to walk around him.

"Go creep on someone else" Holly sniffed as we headed into the house. "Surprised he was even invited."

I could already feel the music soaking into me. A welcome relief from the last few weeks of hard work.

We grabbed drinks and headed back outside, more than ready to begin the night.

Tall and slender, Holly looked stunning as ever in a bluebell-coloured fitted dress. Her red hair was curled to perfection and her makeup was flawless. She grinned at me as she started to dance, hands in the air.

I laughed and followed suit, taking a sip of beer as I twirled, my green skater dress flowing around me.

I spotted Kyle heading towards us and waved him over. "Hey! Congratulations!" My grin was mirrored by his own and he clinked his bottle against mine.

"Congrats to yourself! You were amazing today." The awe in his voice made me swell with pride.

Taking a swig from his bottle he smiled fondly at us, brown eyes just a little hazy from alcohol.

"We all kicked ass." Holly giggled.

We had all started in the same, crappy place at the pack orphanage and had somehow all managed to get it together enough to make the grade.

None of us had Ranked with the same specialty. I was Defence, Holly a Scout and Kyle was a Tracker. Between us, we made quite the team.

I was just about to take another sip of my drink when arms shot around my shoulders from behind.

Instinctively, I dropped my bottle grabbed the arms and squatted low. At the same time, I thrust my hips back and arched my back, sending my assailant over my head.

His body turned as he flipped, catching his fall with one hand, and pushing himself upright. Whoops and cheers erupted around us like we were the evening's entertainment.