Chapter 15 - Distraction

Amazingly, the party actually managed to pick up where it left off before the interruption.

The music, food and alcohol soon had the laughter rolling again and bodies twisting and moving as people danced.

I found myself back in the corner with a certain handsome tracker. This time just the two of us. He was funny and easy to talk to.

"I really don't know how you did it. But I'm impressed you managed to end that. I've never seen Jack so angry." He raised his eyebrows, clearly wondering what had provoked the drama.

I smiled and looked away into the motion of the party. "I've known them both a long time."

Matt laughed. "Still... impressive. Jack is head of Defence. Not exactly one of us mere mortals." He chuckled. "What is he even doing here...?" He trailed off, watching Jack across the room thoughtfully. "I can't imagine Reed or Violet hanging out with us lot, can you?"

I followed his gaze and watched as Jack took a swig from his bottle. "It's different for him. He's in limbo in a way." I murmured.

Matt frowned. "What do you mean?"

"He Qualified so early, that he ranked well before anyone else of his moon year. But then he's so much younger than the other tutors. He doesn't fit in with either group really. Then he got stuck training me."

I could almost feel Matt's curiosity growing and didn't feel like going into that story any further. Instead, I smiled up at him. "Are we going to talk about my ex-mentor all night or are you going to ask me to dance?"

Amusement lit his brown eyes, and he took my hand and kissed it. "As madam desires."

We moved further into the room to join the other dancing couples. I laughed as he spun me 360, taking me in his arms as if we were about to waltz.

As we laughed, he moved his hands to my waist and pulled me more firmly against him. "I wish I knew earlier that you liked to dance. I feel cheated out of potential time holding you like this."

We laughed again and danced for a while before I excused myself to use to toilet. Matt went to collect more drinks and I smiled to myself as I made my way to the bathroom.

It was late now, and the party had died down to around ten people, collected in the kitchen and living room. The last I had seen; Holly was kissing one of the other Scout trainees against the fridge.

Just as I was closing the door to the bathroom, a foot wedged in the door. I gasped as suddenly Jack was in the room with me, locking the door behind him.

"Hey! What are you doing?" I asked indignantly.

"I could ask you the same thing." He said quietly.

I couldn't get a read on him, which was unusual.

Moving forward slowly, he captured my chin in his big hand. My heartbeat immediately sped up at his touch and I felt a tingle between my thighs. He lowered his eyes to my lips and slowly brushed the pad of his thumb against my lower lip.

Gently, he rubbed the stubble of his jaw against my cheek. The roughness sending shivers through me and I trembled against him, feeling myself getting wet.

He smirked sexily as his eyes returned to capture my own. "Now that is how your body should react to a man's touch."

I was lost for words. I couldn't deny the pull I felt when he touched me.

But it couldn't happen.

Pulling away, I put some distance between us. "What are you doing Jack? We've been over and over this."

I was getting tired of the game. It was time to let it go.

Matt was perfectly lovely and seemed like a sweetheart. We had fun and he hadn't been warned off me as if I was the devil incarnate.

I could have myself a bit of happiness with him. Until he found his mate at least.

Throwing back his head with a heavy sigh, Jack took a moment before responding. "This is all kinds of fucked up. The Alpha hasn't even asked me to give you duties because he wants to keep us apart. We are wasting you as a Pack because I can't keep my hands off you."

The pained expression in his eyes was heated with lust and I growled. "You think this is easy for me? Not only do I have to face the fact I'll most likely be alone for the rest of my life, but somewhere along the way I've lost my friend!"

He took a step towards me, a frown on his face. "No Charlie. You will never lose my friendship."

"Just get out." I ordered. Tired of the whole situation. "Go be with Shelby. I'll be with Matt... And if our friendship survives after that then maybe I'll believe you."

He clenched his teeth for a moment, as if to stop himself speaking. Huffing he spun away from me, leaving the room, and slamming the door.

I quickly locked it again and rested my head against the cool wood for a moment before using the bathroom and re-joining the party.

Matt was waiting for me with a beer in the living room, an easy grin on his lips. "I thought you fell in." he laughed.

I elbowed him with a smirk and grabbed my beer from his hand. "Ha, ha. Very funny."

I was dimly aware of Shelby and Jack dancing across the room, his hands on her ass as she moved her hips.

Taking another large swig of beer, I turned my back on the couple, determined to get drunk and have fun.

Matt moved closer, a twinkle in his eye. "Have I told you how amazing you look tonight?" he murmured, eyes sliding down my dress.

"Just tonight?" I smirked. Allowing myself to be pulled into his arms.

His lips met mine, softly at first and then when I didn't pull away, he deepened the kiss.

The warmth of his tongue on mine felt good, but it was nothing compared to the scorching desire that blazed through me when I kissed Jack.

Pulling away slightly, he rested his head against mine and I giggled, slightly drunk.

I wiped some of the scarlet lipstick from his lip that had transferred in our kiss.

A loud cough from the hallway drew us apart and I was surprised to see Kyle fidgeting nervously.

"Sorry guys." He cringed, looking at a spot over our heads, rather than at us directly. "Party is over. There's been a rogue sighting. Alpha has called us all in."

The mood in the room immediately shifted and Holly clicked the music off.

I pulled out of Matt's arms, running to my room to change. Wishing I hadn't drunk as much as I struggled out of my dress.

I could hear feet thundering out of the cabin and rushed to join them.

Holly burst out of her room at the same time as I did, flicking her hair out of her t-shirt neckline.

We kept moving, rushing out of the door at speed.

Suddenly a large hand caught my wrist, yanking me harshly from my momentum.

I looked up into the sombre navy gaze of Jack and quickly pulled, trying to free myself. "Not the time Jack."

"I know that." He growled, eyes flashing amber. "Remember why they are here? You are not leaving my sight whether you like it or not."

I snarled but conceded. Running alongside him as we headed for the pack house.

Our many years of training had honed our speed to far outstrips our Pack-mates. Equally matched, we fizzed past the hoards of flitting wolves, focused on the Pack House clearing ahead.

I could hear the snarls and growls long before we got there, and I pushed my feet to move impossibly faster.

We shot into the clearing, quickly taking in the scene.

Familiar wolves stood back-to-back, including the large shapes of our Alpha and Beta. They were surrounded on all sides, by the lithe figures of unknowns.

Behind them, with a delighted grin on his lips, stood Drake.