Chapter 26 - Better Late Than Never

I really hope you are enjoying the story so far! These chapters might be a little slow, but I promise they are the calm before the storm!

Thank you for each and every comment and vote. They mean so much to me!!   ❤❤❤

Please get in touch if you have any questions, suggestions, or just want to say "Hi"... I am loving getting to know you all!

- Molly x

As the shuffling of the crowd finally stilled, Julian took to the podium once more.

"Your faith in me will not be tested again. I will reward your loyalty, by being the best Alpha I can possibly be to this Pack." The humble tone of his voice made every word soak into the souls of all who heard them.

"Now, we must be as one." He boomed, eyes scanning his people. "Our scouts work tirelessly day and night. To ensure we are not taken by surprise again."

His large hands balled into firsts so tight, his knuckles became white. "The other Packs are in agreement. We plan to bombard the enemy with small raids, to keep them at bay as we pull our Pack into shape."

"Men, women, children and elders. You will all need to make yourselves ready. I won't lose a single wolf to lack of preparation." The sombre line of his lips stilled for a moment as he considered his next words carefully. "Too long have we lived under laws bred by tyranny. We will change... but first, we train."

The approving howl of my brethren made goosebumps erupt over my skin. Adrenaline poured through me with nowhere to go and I found my wolf joining her voice though my lips.

I wanted to shift. My body ached to feel the soil beneath my paws and fresh blood on my fangs. My skin felt too tight, itching with the need to shed, and become wolf.

Feeling my need, Jack growled low in his throat. "Come."

Our bodies flitted through the room, chased by the cry of my kin.

I felt hot, my body burning as we bolted into the treeline.

My clothes felt suffocating as I tore at them, desperate to feel the air against my skin.

Jack watched me, dark eyes flickering between heat and amusement.

I snarled. Dropping to all fours as an angry snap sounded in my left calf.

The pain was delicious.

It was like finally managing to scratch an itch you hadn't been able to reach.

Like the stinging bite of cold water poured on a burn.

I clawed at the damp earth beneath me as my claws sprouted with agonising slowness.

Each breath became distorted as the bones of my face cracked and rearranged. My nose elongating into a long snout.

As is common in a first shift, I must have blacked out for a moment.

Because when I came around, the world had changed.

Colours shone more brightly, scents stronger and easier to identify.

I looked on through a tunnel. Almost as though I was staring through a windscreen from the back seat of a car.

My wolf felt stronger in my head, her pleasure radiating through me in waves.

This has been a long time coming. She murmured. Her soft voice trickling through my mind.

I looked up to see the dark shape of Jack's wolf. His eyes shone with pride as he looked at me with a goofy grin.