Chapter 45 - Fear of The Unknown

Hi guys!

Thank you so much if you have stayed with me this long :D

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see your feedback... let me see those in-line comments!!

- Molly x

At the first opportunity, I ditched the cauldron of energy that was fast becoming a pissing contest of 'my Pack is better than your Pack.'.

I slipped through the crowd, letting the music soak into me. The thrum of the base vibrated in my chest to dissolve a small amount of the tension filling my body.

Most of me wanted to know what the hell was going on with Jack. But part of me was afraid to hear.

I had seen the way he looked at Rebecca. His eyes couldn't hide the soft sadness he had felt when hers glistened with tears.

I slumped against the bar and ordered a shot of vodka. The smartly dressed wolf smirked knowingly as he poured. Darting a glance over to the table I had just vacated.

I followed his gaze, heart squeezing painfully at the sight of my mate. He'd had to stay for the duration of the arrangements of course. He was our Lead Defender after all.

Edda looked bored as she twirled the stem of her wine glass. Eyes finding mine across the room, almost as if she had known I was looking.

A small smile played at her lips, and she raised her glass ever so slightly in a salute.

I grabbed the dainty shot glass that had just been placed before me and returned her gesture, before turning my back and downing the fiery liquid.

"I'll take one of those." The scarlet hair of my friend appeared beside me, almost as if I had conjured her there.

Holly grimaced as she knocked back her own drink before turning her puffy eyes on me.

My heart panged and I drew her into a hug, my own worries momentarily forgotten. "Oh Hol... What happened?"

Her sniffle was so dejected I clung to her tighter. Holding her as she cried softly into my shoulder.

When she pulled back, I ordered us two glasses of wine and pulled her to an empty table. "So..?"

Taking a greedy gulp of her drink, she set it down with shaky hands. "It's all such an unknown. An Elder has never taken a mate before. We don't know what will happen... Will I age and die, long before he ever will? Leaving him to an eternity of heartbreak?"

Her eyes settled on me, once again brimming with tears. "One thing we do know... is that the Elder's place is here. Which would mean mine would be too."

I stilled, glass halfway to my lips. Even my brain froze of thought.

I wanted to disagree with her, to come up with a brilliant and obvious second option. But none presented itself. She was completely right.

Alden would definitely have to remain here, and if she wanted to accept him and their bond, so would she.

Placing my glass down I took her hands and held her gaze, watching for truths. "And is that what you want?"

Those watery orbs vibrated as her lip trembled, tears shaking free in a watery avalanche. "I... Want him."

The mate bond is a precious luxury that a lot of wolves never get to find. Our hearts and wolves wish for it to flower to fruition, even as our brains may have other ideas for us.

Even in two strangers, the tingle of a touch and warmth of their company is difficult to ignore. It is a maddening itch that craves to be scratched.

How Jack trained with me all those years, suffering the delicious pain of our bond, whilst knowing it could never be real, I couldn't fathom.

The choice is there to be made, I guess he chose to give me up. What that means for how he feels about me, I have no idea.

A voice stirred in my mind, mournful whine to her words. "He broke the bond."

My heart ached. What repercussions did that have?

But now was not the time to examine that comment.

I squeezed her hands, fighting a smile onto my face. I wouldn't think of myself. Of the feeling that I was losing my life-long companion, sister in all ways but genetics.

"Then, this is exciting!" I managed. Pulling her into another hug. After a moment I held her at arm's length. "Stop the tears, silly! You found your mate and he's a fricking Elder!" I grinned and winked, trying to find words to resurrect and answering smile. "I wonder what all that power translates to beneath the sheets..."

Holly's cackle brought the familiar spark back in to her eyes. "Leave it to you Charlie..."

We giggled together, both doing our best to avoid the sad reality of our upcoming parting.

"I think it's about time we let loose and had some fun! This night has been a shit-show so far!" Holly stood, smoothing her dress. "Do I look like I've been in a rainstorm of mascara?"

Only Holly could have a sob-fest and come out looking like she'd had a great shag instead. Hair ruffled to sexy perfection and slight rose to her cheeks. "Not a bit." I assured, linking arms with my friend.

"Time to dance our vaginas off!" She declared. Downing her wine and striking out for the dance floor.

"Don't you mean arses?" I couldn't help the laugh that burst from my lips.

Holly frowned. "I'm pretty sure it's vaginas?" she turned as she spoke, eyes sliding past my left shoulder. "What the fuck..."

I followed her gaze. Nausea back full force as I watched Jack and Rebecca talk.

The meeting had ended, and they were the last two at the booth. He had moved to her side and was softly wiping a tear from her cheek as he spoke to her.

Holly growled, the ferocious sound attracting the attention of anyone within 3 meters, even over the loud beat of music. "I'm going to kill the bastard."

Another, even more menacing growl drew my eyes to our right. My father's wolf was so bright he looked entirely inhuman, even whilst standing on two legs. He snarled, the menace of an Alpha's aura oozing from him. "Not if I kill him first."