Chapter 13 - Piggy In The Middle

Embarrassing to admit, but the nights events had a lasting effect on me over the following days.

I'd seen nothing of Jack, which was probably for the best.

It had taken my chat with James to realise just how unrealistic the fantasy life I was hoping for was.

Jack was forbidden fruit that might just ruin me if I kept attempting to eat it.

In bid to cheer myself up, I dragged myself to the coffee house.

I had just ordered my latte when Holly burst through the door.

She had obviously had a good night's sleep finally, no trace of tiredness showing in her bouncy step.

Looking as beautiful as ever, her bright eyes found mine quickly and she rushed over, hands slapping loudly on the counter between us.

I raised a brow at her. "Okay... Good morning to you too."

"It's time to pull out of your mope, grumpy." her lips twisted in disapproval.

I rolled my eyes, signalling to Rose to make a second cup.

Holly clicked her tongue and slapped the counter again. "I'm serious Charlie."

"I really don't know what you're talki..." I began, to be cut off when she growled.

"Hey! Did you just growl at me?" I complained, offended.

"Did you just try lie to me?" her glare made me squirm as she continued. "Your best friend... the one person who has always had your back and you are lying to me?"

Guilt gnawed at me and I caved. Lying never worked for me and the lecture was probably inevitable anyway. "I might care about him... a bit." I finished lamely, a fiery blush staining my cheeks.

I sighed as I collected our coffees and found us a table, setting the drinks between us. "I know I'm an idiot."

She rolled her eyes. "You don't say." She took a sip of her coffee and smiled sympathetically at me. "He's the closest thing you've had to family all these years. You don't want to risk that, do you?"

I bit my lip. "Of course not. I just can't seem to find my way back to how we were. When we are alone, I just want to..." I groaned dropping my head into my hands.

She shook her head, smiling sadly. "You got it bad."

Her smile fell, and she put her hand on my arm, concern clear in her eyes. "I'm worried about you Charlie. I'm afraid for you."

I covered her hand with my own and patted it reassuringly. "I know. I'm going to really try hard to move away from this. I need to find me a distraction."

Suddenly, she grinned. "Yes! Has there ever been a better excuse for a party!"

I snorted "A 'get Charlie laid' party?"

Our combined laughter echoed around the empty café as we discussed plans.

Holly had a patrol this morning, but I was free to make the arrangements.

We were giggling over her phone, deciding who to invite as the door to the café swung open.

Jack.

Holly sent me a sly smirk and downed the last of her coffee. "Let me know how the planning goes!" she grinned, making a beeline for the door.

Navy eyes met mine and I felt my belly flipflop as I raised my hand in hello.

I couldn't help admiring how his dark blue jeans, clung to his muscular thighs and ass as he ordered his coffee. His white t-shirt was stretched tight over the thick muscles of his back and arms.

How had I been so blind to him for so long? It was like he flipped a switch when he kissed me.

Resolving to get a hold of myself, I clasped my hands on the table in front of me and smiled as he took a seat opposite me. Desperately trying to ignore the memory of his fingers inside me.

The soft smirk on his lips wasn't helping.

"Hey... I haven't seen you around in a few days." I said, striving for friendly chit-chat.

Leaning back in his chair, his smirk intensified. "Miss me?"

I felt a tiny smile tweak my lips, despite my best efforts.

When I remained silent, Jack leaned forward, resting an arm on the table. "I'm pretty sure the Alpha is going to kill me, keeping me busy so that I stay away from you."

He slowly extended his little finger to brush my own and I shivered, my body already reacting to his slight touch.

I pulled my hands into my lap, taking a shaky breath. "Jack..."

"I know. I know." Scrubbing a hand through his already messy hair he sighed. "It should be me keeping you in line not the other way around."

We shared a humourless laugh. A sadness hanging between us.

Lowering his voice, he continued. "I never wanted this. It's insane. I don't want to hurt you..."

Just at that moment the door chimed open and in walked Shelby, eyes scanning the room before settling on us with glee.

She wasted no time in getting her coffee and waltzing over to our table.

"Hey guys!" She grinned. "Mind if I join you?"

Not waiting for a reply, she pulled up a chair between us. It was so close to Jack's, that she may as well have been on his knee.

"So, Charlie... I heard from Callum, who heard from Kyle who was told by Holly... That you guys are having a party tonight!" Her grin was so fake I was surprised she didn't crick her jaw.

Damn Kyle. Callum and Shelby were not going to be on the invite list.

I managed a small smile and nodded. "Oh, er... yeah..."

I trailed off as I watched her fingers slide up Jack's jaw, to smooth his dark mess of hair, combing it intimately.

"There. What am I going to do with you? A future Beta needs to keep himself looking sharp!" She simpered.

Jack gently moved her hand away, shooting me an apologetic look.

Catching his glance, Shelby giggled. "Oh, don't worry about her Jack! She isn't your student anymore remember. You don't have to be so professional!"

She threw a condescending smile in my direction, "as a ranked pack member, she's more than old enough now to know her teacher has a personal life."

I caught his eye as she was still speaking. Giving him a small nod.

It was time we both moved on.

A look of hurt flashed in his midnight eyes before it was gone.

He smirked at Shelby, throwing an arm lightly over the back of her chair. "Right. Of course, she is." Again, his eyes were on mine. "A party huh? Were you going to invite your long-suffering ex-mentor, or did I not make the cut?"

My heart sank as I found myself forcing a laugh and extending an invite to them both. "Yeah, of course, the more the merrier."

I felt sick as I pushed back my chair but managed to plaster one last smile on my face. "Well, I better be going. This party won't arrange itself!" I backed out, avoiding Jack's eyes.

I offered one last wave as I bolted from the shop as graciously as I could manage.

How the hell had I got myself into this position?

Holly was going to kill me.

At this point, I was ready to kill me.

I crossed the clearing to the small shop beside the pack house.

Tonight, called for alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.