Chapter 36 - Trust

Hi guys!

Are you still with me? Let me know if I'm losing your interest!!

Hope to hear from you in the comments <3 

Molly xx

Days passed in a flurry of activity. We buried our kin and readied ourselves to leave our home.

My chemically induced confusion had faded slowly, like the sun burning away the fog that clings to the hills in the early morning.

Jack wasn't speaking to me. Julian couldn't look at me and even Holly was avoiding me.

They busied themselves, along with most of the Pack, in upping protection and surveillance. I was not given orders; it was clearly a worry as to how trustworthy I was.

I spent the days by Hazel's bedside. Her feelings for me somehow miraculously unchanged.

She swept her bright eyes over me, shaking her head with a soft smile. "Oh Charlie. Where has that spark gone that I had come to know so well?"

I fidgeted; fully aware she knew exactly how things had gone down after her shooting. "I just... don't feel like myself anymore. After everything that has happened..."

Tsking, Hazel rolled her eyes with an uncharacteristically casual toss of her head. "Don't give me that. I am the one that was shot." She took a moment to smooth a non-existent wrinkle from the blanket over her lap. "If these past weeks have taught us anything, it should be that bearing grudges and living in the past only ever causes pain and suffering. We must move on, move out and get to the Meet."

I avoided her gaze. Knowing she was right.

I had been having mixed feelings about the Meet since it had been announced following Drake's 'visit'.

It had been over a thousand years since the last Pack Meet. An unnecessary hassle in peace times... but a very real necessity in war.

Each Pack collects their belongings, storing them in their respective Pack bunkers. They are sealed safely away before people begin the long journey to the Meet.

It is a place fortified like no other in our land. Protected through the years, waiting for a day that the Pack's would need to gather and stand as one.

Nerves clawed at my belly. It would be expected that I allow the elders to attempt a wiccan cleanse of Allegiance.

I wanted the cleanse... But was fully aware that the process was likely to be pretty unpleasant.

I was pulled from my thoughts as Julian entered the room, followed by a doctor with dark hair.

Neither one acknowledged my presence, instead they happily explained to Hazel that she was being discharged.

A bright smile lit her beautiful face, and she wasted no time in gracefully rising from the bed. "Fabulous. It is about time. We will be needing to leave as soon as we have dealt with that other, very pressing matter."

She swept over to her husband, nightgown swishing as she moved. Raising a hand, she delicately captured his chin, sparking a playful humour in my father's usually stern gaze.

Julian began to lower his face, a smile blooming at the prospect of a kiss.

But his Luna had other ideas. She moved her face back, instead turning his jaw so that he had no choice but to look over to where I was sitting in the corner.

"Kisses are only for the deserving." She murmured. "I see a man abandoning his daughter for the second time, due to matters that were no fault of her own... yet again."

Julian bristled, trying to catch the eye of his mate. "I am in no way abandoning her. I've been busy."

Again, Hazel chuckled. "And yet you found the time to bore me with countless games of chess these past few nights."

Huffing, Julian pulled himself from her grasp, before straightening and striding over to my seat. We eyed each other warily, unsure of the other's feelings.

"You are back to being yourself?" he questioned quietly.

I nodded but stayed silent. This matter was a dicey one for an Alpha to just accept and trust. I understood his reservation.

Julian hummed thoughtfully. Sitting heavily on the bed that Hazel had vacated. He finally caught my eye again, a small smile playing on his lips. "Play a game with me?"

I hesitated. Unsure of what to expect. Before finally nodding acceptance at his eager grin.

Oh, the many changing faces of Alpha Row.

"So, it's a word association game... I say a word, and you say the first word that pops into your head when you hear it. Ok?"

Feeling ridiculous, I agreed.

"So, first word... Pack." He said, somewhat solemnly

"Home." I supplied easily. Noting the glint of approval in his eye.

"Alpha?" he asked next, worry evident in his voice.

"Father." The word spilled from my lips, and I flushed. That was the first time I had called him that.

A half smile found it's way onto his face. He looked as embarrassed as I was. But pleased too.

Clearing his throat, he moved on without comment. "How about..."

"Jack?" the deep voice I knew so well pulled my eyes to the doorway. His words barely out before my mouth responded.

"Torpedo."

My eyes widened as the room stilled. The silence only adding to my mortification.

Face flaming, I managed to choke out the second word that came to mind at his name. "Ah.. Um.. I mean.. Mate."

The air between us seemed thickened with a kind of impatient energy and my skin itched to be near him.

Hazel and Julian shared a knowing glance. My father patting me softly on the shoulder before they murmured goodbyes and left the room.

Unsure what to expect, my heart ached as Jack and I continued our silent exchange.

I had once thought I knew every expression this man could make. But I was wrong.

The heartbreak in his eyes was tearing at my heart. I wanted to comfort him. To tell him I hadn't meant it. But there was no point. He already knew.

"I'm not angry." There was a bitterness in his voice that he couldn't quite mask. "I know you didn't mean to... didn't want to..." He closed his eyes, briefly eclipsing the hurt shining in their navy depths.

"Jack, I..." I moved to his side, reaching out to hold his hand, but he pulled away.

I felt my wolf react for the first time in days. Her pitiful whine bouncing around my mind.

"I'm sorry Charlie. I just need a bit of time." He rubbed his eyes tiredly. "Every time I look at you, I can see you in his arms."

I felt a spark of fire reignite in me and glared at him. "Really Jack? Really? Do you have any idea how many times I've seen you with your tongue so far down someone's throat I'm surprised it wasn't coming out of their arse?"

Growling Jack clenched his jaw. "That was before we were mated!" our anger fizzed between us and then suddenly he smirked.

"Coming out of their arse eh?" his laugher fed my soul. "There is only one arse that I have any interest in licking." His eyes traced the curves of my body appreciatively.

I spluttered, feeling my face flame as my anger dissolved into a giggle. "The licking will sadly have to wait. We need to get moving."