Chapter 24 - Friendly Warning

Hi guys!

Another massive thank you to all of you for staying with me this long!

I still have some surprises in store... What do you think they could be?   😉

Please vote and comment, let me know if you are enjoying reading! I love getting feedback and will happily listen to your advice!

Dumbfounded, Julian moved back to his desk and sat heavily in his chair.

The look of shock on his face was stirring a giggle inside me that I was desperate to squash.

Jack answered all of his questions solemnly. It was the most serious I had ever seen him.

The two men's anger had dissipated, leaving a slight tension behind that was seeming to relax with each new question.

Finally, Julian sighed, scrubbing a hand across his face. "Jack. Your dad is my best friend. I was there, waiting outside the day you were born. I don't understand why you wouldn't tell me about this."

Jack fidgeted, uncharacteristically nervous. "Jules... I was fourteen. It was the first thing you had asked of me as Alpha. I had no intention of pursuing it, or fucking up the job you gave me... I ignored it. Hoping it would never come up." He looked at me sheepishly, obviously embarrassed.

Hazel was watching us all thoughtfully, perched on the shining edge of Julian's desk. She straightened, smoothing her light grey dress.

"This is another reason we need to re-examine our laws. Mates should not be made to feel bad about the feelings they share, should they wish to pursue them." She hesitated, glancing at Jack in amusement. "However, your particular circumstances are a complete peculiarity, seemingly designed to amuse the Moon-Goddess."

I couldn't help the giggle that escaped, and Julian glanced at me, a small smile finally tugging at his lips. "And... are you are happy, Charlie?"

His gaze was piercing, and I squirmed, very aware of Jack standing close by. "Yes, Alpha."

"Julian." He corrected absently, nodding his acceptance. "Then it's settled. But now, I have important matters to discuss with my Luna and defence leader. I am sorry Charlie, but I must ask you to leave now."

Grateful to be leaving, I mumbled my goodbyes, quickly exiting before he changed his mind.

The morning had brightened into a beautiful sunny day. Bright blue, cloudless skies peeped through the canopy of our forest home, casting dappled shadows across the paths and buildings.

I started up the path to head home, hopeful that Holly would be there. I had really missed her.

I had only gone a few meters when a clawing nausea began in my gut. I shivered, despite the hot day as I looked down the pretty forest path I knew so well.

The emptiness that stretched ahead suddenly seemed hostile and I stumbled backwards, almost falling in my haste.

Nerves chewed at my senses as I imagined enemies lurking in the shadows, deeper into the forest line.

It was far easier to grit my teeth and be brave with Jack, but out here I felt vulnerable.

And I hated it.

I was just retracing my steps to the Pack house, sulkily giving in to my fear, when a cheerful voice called out to me. "Hey, Charlie!"

I looked up to see the bouncing blond curls of my least favourite Pack member, Shelby.