Chapter 51 - Bloody Vengeance

Hi guys,

Here is a bonus chapter because I got so much done today!

- Molly x

The wide-eyed man beside the lake fell backwards in fear. Obviously, he had thought he was safe after removing our access point.

He picked himself up, tripping over his own feet in his haste to get away. He shifted. Racing towards the treeline in brown streak.

The angry shadow of Jack's wolf made the leap from the wall. Sailing over the last stretch of water to land at the east bank of the lake.

He shook himself, muscles rippling as he began to run.

Jack was fast. Even with half the lake to span, his prey had no chance of escape, despite a head start. The black blur of his wolf tore up the clearing as he barrelled towards our enemy.

Our rocky outcrops were alive with the snarls of bloodlust. Spurring on the inevitable evisceration of our foolish adversary.

In mere seconds, Jack drew alongside him. The panicked look of the other wolf was unmistakable even from this distance.

Blood sprayed like a crimson water sprinkler as Jack ripped savagely into the throat of the other wolf. The first strike was undoubtably deadly, and yet the brown wolfs legs pumped for another meter before the last signals from the dying brain let them still.

The body slumped to the ground, a sticky red puddle forming around it, seeping into the dirt and the furry feet of my mate.

He threw back his head in a victorious howl, one we delighted in joining.

The clearing still echoed with the sound of our vengeance when the dark shapes of more wolves began to leave the trees.

Jack was padding his way back towards the cliff. In no hurry, knowing it might take some time to find a way to gain entrance again.

He was upwind, unable to scent the new intruders.

The voices of Holly, Julian, Anna, James, and I joined to scream a warning in unison. "JACK!"

But it was already too late. There was nothing we could do but watch as he turned. Growl leaving him as he faced eight wolves by himself.

I couldn't help but remember that he hadn't eaten a thing in at least a day, maybe more. Would he be weaker than usual?

My father, James and I followed his lead, leaping from our platforms to shift mid-air.

We already knew that we would take too long. But we had to try.

I focused on my descent. Anger and fear screaming in my ears.

The rockface crumbled as my claws bit, my weight slamming into the mountainside and jerking my body with each new jump.

We hit the ground at roughly the same time, but I was much faster. After years of training, my feet flew with the same speed as my mentor. The silver blur of my fur was barely visible in my haste to get to my mate.

I could see the tangled heap of writhing fur ahead. Sprays of blood and howls of pain the only things escaping the mass.

Four of the enemy wolves already lay dead, blood spreading to join that of their first fallen brother.

From my years of training with him, I could see that Jack was slowing drastically. His fur was matted with blood and dirt, and he panted. Legs shaking under the weight of his injuries.

Wasting no time, I flew at the nearest wolf. My teeth closing around his throat with a wet crunch. I felt him hang limply as I turned to check the next threat. Half aware of my father and James launching themselves at two other invaders.

Jack was barely able to stand. His ear was torn and both hind legs had huge chunks of flesh missing.

My wolf whined as we headed for him. Moving lithely around the fallen bodies.

Jack growled. Golden eyes flashing at me in fear. "Charlie, forget me. Concentrate..."

But his words in my head were interrupted when the body of the final wolf slammed into me, knocking me off my feet to tumble into the sticky, congealed dirt.

I had no time to think before teeth and claws were on me, snapping and slashing, drawing blood from my soft underbelly.

I yipped in pain and rolled away, still less able to fight in this form than I'd like.

The wolf didn't let up. He knocked me over again, feet pinning me as his blood stained jaws opened to descend around my throat.

Fear didn't even have a chance to take hold of me before the black shape of my mate slumped over me, the soft underside of his throat covering mine with the last bit of his strength.

The sharp teeth above us managed to carve one more chunk of Jack before he was torn away, shredded in seconds by my father.

The hot, viscous liquid quickly seeping into my fur made my heart tremble.

My mate was still. His large body barely even able for the slow throb of breath.

I could feel a howl building in my throat as I tried to reach him, finding nothing but darkness where his consciousness should be.

Bucking softly, I managed to wiggle out from under him. Immediately running my nose over him to assess his injuries.

The cracking noise of someone shifting sounded beside me and James collapsed to his knees beside his son. He gathered him in his arms, tears welling as Jack's body flopped limply against him.

A roaring sound began in my ears, tears burning my eyes and blurring my vision.

No. No way.

My heart shattered more harshly than I had ever known was possible.

The howl that left me was soul sucking. It felt as though my whole being left my body with my breath.

I could feel Julian in the edges of my mind, trying to gain access to speak to me, but I wouldn't let him in.

This couldn't be real.