Chapter 9 - Let's Play 'Chicken'

I don't think I dreamt. If I did, I don't remember.

The steady beep of machines greeted me as I stirred from sleep. I felt like hell.

"Charlieee. Charrrlieeeeeee. Hey wake up!"

I opened my eyes slowly. Groaning as the bright light assaulted my sensitive eyes.

Large midnight blue eyes with long charcoal lashes filled my vision. I blinked. They were still there. I let my gaze drift over the rest of his face. I knew it so well.

Strong jaw peppered with light stubble. Soft, sensual lips that curled upwards into a teasing grin – just the left corner. Eyes that were like pools of night sky. An unusual deep blue spotted with stars of reflection. His dark shaggy mess of hair framed his masculine face, giving him an even more rugged appearance.

As I watched as the grin widened, his eyes sparkled playfully. I quickly realised this was no dream, and my heartbeat sped up.

Unfortunately, so did the heart monitor. The slow beeping suddenly doubled. Trebled even and Jack's eyes widened in surprise.

He stared at me for a moment, obviously caught between concern and humour.

After considering something for a second a sly smile appeared on his lips and he lent forward slowly. His eyes focused on mine.

My breath hitched in my throat and the monitor beeped impossibly faster.

Jacks smile widened and he drew back. A bark of laughter escaping his lips.

Shit.

"Well... that was interesting" he said slowly. The annoying smile still tugging at his lips. "What you think that means Ky? I'll let you explain since you're a smart arse."

I closed my eyes for a second, before reopening them. Nope. Still there.

More than a little mortified, I lifted my chin stubbornly and let my gaze settle on Kyle.

He looked pale. A large, ugly gash swept across his temple. Sticky-tape held the arm of his glasses in place and a large graze coated the left side of his thin jaw.

His brown hair was neat as usual, and I watched as he pushed his glasses up his nose. His cheeks suddenly stained crimson. "I... uh... um... No idea." he finished lamely looking everywhere but at me or Jack.

A loud snort filled the room, and I raised an eyebrow at Jack. He was sprawled out along the mattress next to my left leg.

A smirk played on his lips and he opened his mouth to speak. Narrowing my eyes meaningfully at him I slowly shook my head slightly.

Kyle shyly edged over to the monitor, clicking the switch off at the wall, face still flaming.

Chuckling Jack patted my leg and got up from the bed. "How are you feeling?" he asked, genuine concern pulling at his lips. "You really know how to freak people out, that's for sure."

The smile didn't reach his eyes and I looked down at myself for the first time. Bandages covered what I could see of my chest above the blanket. I wasn't in pain, so they must have me on some decent meds.

"I'm ok. What happened?" I asked, glancing at the very battered Kyle.

Before he could answer, the door burst open and the Alpha walked in, Luna following a few steps behind.

"Ah. You're awake!" The Alpha smiled warmly.

Luna beamed and placed a beautiful bunch of flowers at my bedside.