Chapter 8 - Visitors

I woke the morning after the Qual's with a mild hangover and a massive sense of euphoria.

I had done it. I had achieved a Pack Ranking, despite my inability to shift.

A few questions had been asked as to why I hadn't shifted, and why I alone had received what had obviously been exemplary training from Jack.

We kept it simple and told people it was all under Alpha's orders - for his entertainment. Whether or not people found it odd, they wouldn't dare question the Alpha.

I could hear Holly singing tunelessly in the kitchen and chuckled, getting out of bed and beginning to dress.

I'd had the luxury of a lie in this morning, with no coffee shop job to go to and no assigned work as of yet.

My thoughts turned to Jack as I realised with a pang of sadness that this would be the first day in as long as I could remember that we weren't due to meet up.

Pulling on my socks I forced a smile on my face. Today was a day to be happy and proud. Not to wallow over what would never be.

Joining Holly, we ate cereal and caught up. It had been a long two weeks away from the gossip mill.

We had just finished giggling over her story of Kyle being so drunk at last nights party that he drunkenly flirted with a horrified Violet. When Holly suddenly became serious.

"So... your turn." She told me. Sipping her tea and arching an eyebrow expectedly.

I laughed uncomfortably. "I've been stuck in a cabin in the wood for two weeks with Jack. What gossip could I have?"

Raising her second eyebrow to meet the first she clicked her nails against the side of her mug. "What gossip indeed?"

I feigned ignorance for another few minutes before she finally snapped at me. "I have been your best friend since we were in nappies. I know you. There's something you're not telling me, and honestly, I'm a little hurt. Haven't I kept your secret all these years?"

She sniffed pointedly and looked away.

Sighing I caved. Although unsure how to really describe the moments Jack and I had shared.

I began telling her of the cut on my leg in training. When I got to the licking part, she made a noise that could only be constituted as a cross between a moan and a groan.

"Noo Charlie!" Tell me you didn't sleep with him! She groaned, then shook her head, "Ah... no... tell me you did... how was he?" She giggled and fanned her face before switching back to begrudging horror. "But you didn't, did you?"

I snorted at her Jekyll and Hyde moment and shook my head. "No Hol. I didn't sleep with him."

"But you kissed?" she prompted, adamant to get the details.

I answered before thinking. "Not that time..." trailing off as Holly's eyes widened and I realised my mistake. Shit.

"Charlie!" her voice was so high it could rival a pup training whistle and I cringed.

"That's all though! Just a kiss." I conceded, holding my hands up in attempt to calm her down.

No other topic of gossip would do at this point though and I ended up recalling every detail, right down to the necklace.

"He bought you jewellery?" she gaped, incredulous. "Jack... Jack bought you jewellery?"

To be fair, I was as surprised as she was.

"It was a mentor-student congratulations gift, that's all." I insisted, absently stroking my thumb over the flat gold disk.

She snorted. "If you believe that then you might just be stupid enough to give in next time he turns on the charm." She paused to finish her tea, wagging her finger at me as she swallowed. "He isn't your mate, and even if he was, he's made it perfectly clear over the years that he isn't the settling down type. You're too good for him. All this, not to mention, the age gap, the human thing and he's your boss. Are you trying to get kicked out of the pack?!"