Chapter 25 - Honorable Words

Whilst I'd had every intention of telling Holly about Julian myself, life never goes to plan.

Shortly after Kyle left, we were interrupted by Violet. Her usually icy demeanour somewhat less frosty today. "Ah. Good. You're together. That saves me a job."

She ran her eyes over me carefully. "Charlie... It is good to see you back with us. It was a very silly thing you did that night, girl." She pursed her lips reproachfully. "Silly. But brave..."

Her eyes twinkled with something close to admiration, and she nodded at me briskly. Flicking her gaze back to Holly, she huffed. "Come, girls. The Alpha has called a meeting."

I paled. Shit.

I was running out of time.

We raced to keep up with the brisk paced Scout leader as she crossed the clearing. We were so close to the Pack House that I didn't have much of a window of opportunity.

"Er... Holly. I need to tell you something." I hissed, trying to keep my voice low as we scuttled around other Pack members.

She shot me an inquisitive look but was interrupted again by Violet. "Hurry now, girls. I don't have all day!"

We entered the hall and I tried again. "Holly, look... this is going to sound weird, but I'll explain later... The Alpha..."

Again, Violet glared. "Girls!" She pointed into one of the rows of seats, and Holly began to shuffle down the row.

As I went to follow, Violet held up her hand to stop me. "You know where you need to be, girl, so go."

She nodded at the podium, where Julian stood with Hazel and Jack.

James and the mentors were off to one side, eyes on me.

I paled, shaking my head. "No, that's ok. I'll sit down here with Holly."

Violet 'tsked' and gave me a light shove towards the podium.

I glanced back to see Holly's confused gaze following me as I crept to stand beside Jack.

Seemingly connecting the dots as her eyes landed on Jack, the confusion dissipated, and I cringed, trying to catch her eye to shake my head. Desperate to be the one to tell her.

Jack wrapped an arm easily around my waist and I about jumped out of my skin. He grinned at me sexily and I felt my face turn crimson.

How did I end up being sideshow Charlie?

My wolf shuddered at the thought.

I made eye contact with Kyle, who had just slipped into the seat beside Holly's. I tipped my head at him, trying to convey that I wanted Holly's attention.

Like a dumbass, he smiled pleasantly and waved.

I rolled my eyes in exasperation. He was supposed to be the smart one.

Jack's warm breath tickled my ear as he leant to whisper. "Hush, little miss. I'm here with you. It will be fine."

I glared at him. "Maybe for you. No one is going to be phased that you have found your way between another pair of legs."

His eyes glittered deviously. "And what lovely legs those are too."

"That's not funny." I huffed quietly. Stomach churning. "I wanted to be the one to tell Holly."

He chuckled, low in his throat. Fully aware that his hot breath against my neck was starting to make me squirm.

I awkwardly avoided the stares of my Pack mates, knowing they could see Jack's possessive hold on me.