Chapter 44 - One Secret Down...

Shock and anger swirled inside me, only to be replaced with the extra bitter taste of betrayal.

My wolf and I hadn't known each other for that long... But I had assumed we were essentially two halves of one soul. As is the way with every other wolf I had ever known or heard of.

Unable to lie to one another because our consciousness's are so entwined that there would be nowhere to hide.

How could she be to blame?

The surprise that flooded the table only fuelled my unease more. I was right. It was unheard of for a wolf to betray its two-legged counterpart.

Julian frowned. Eyes flashing silver with an impatient askance to speak.

At Edda's nod, he drew a long breath before speaking. "Charlie... That's impossible. You have always longed for your wolf. You would have known the reason you were without one if she had any part in it.

A series of silent nods bobbed authoritatively around the table, doing nothing to convince me of the truth in his words.

I'd like to believe... but my own wolf was telling me they are wrong. I had ignored her before and regretted it. I swore I'd never do it again.

From my back seat position, I tried to probe the restless partner of my mind. She ignored me. Instead fixing her gaze on Edda as the Elder's power continued to draw her out.

Again, my mouth spoke words that were not mine. "I had no choice." A sliver of hope slipped through me, and I waited, almost holding my breath with anticipation. Finally, the question that has hovered over me, shaped my history and my future, would be answered.

"A wolf's brain doesn't need to learn and grow like that of our bare-form. We are born with an innate knowledge and wisdom that we patiently feed to our furless soul-mate." My wolf paused to let all but Edda register surprise in this new knowledge.

"I was fully aware of the Alpha blood in us. An even while Charlie was still a squealing mess of bodily fluids I was watching our family try to fit into Pack life."

A pang of sadness hit me, from my own heart or my wolfs, I couldn't be sure. "Life was hard enough with a human 'dad' and ongoing raids, without me breaking hearts, homes and potentially the whole Pack by showing up."

Julian growled. Eyes flaring into life. With permission obtained he grumbled. "That makes no sense. Evie was full wolf. Charlie had a 50/50 shot of having a wolf too."

Huffing, my wolf tossed our head. "Do not call me a liar when it is your lies that started this mess." A muscle jumped in my father jaw but he stayed silent. "Yes. Evie was wolf and could have given Charlie hers. But Evie was not Alpha. How would a child know to restrict her Alphine strength? To dampen down her aura to hide an affair that she knew nothing of?"

Edda raised her eyebrows, her wise eyes boring into us. "So, you chose to disappear? How does that even work?"

Shuddering with a might that seemed to quake my bones, my wolf whined. "I buried myself into the darkest recess I could find. I closed my eyes and refused to participate in life. Refused to be noticed. And eventually I didn't need to try at all. It was as though my power ebbed away from me with each day I lay dormant. Starving me of life until I couldn't even hear the world anymore. Until my decision was no longer my own and I hadn't the strength to begin our bond, even had I wanted to."

This time, my father forgot to ask to speak. His voice was soft and pained, a slight whine to it that spoke of the grief of his wolf. "So, you sacrificed yourself for the Pack?" He closed his eyes, face slack with self-loathing. "Because of my stupidity."

Alpha Holton smiled sadly, placing a sympathetic hand on my father's forearm. "We all make mistakes, Row. Learn from them, fix what you can and above all... don't repeat them. That's the best we can do."

Edda shot him a mild warning look. "I didn't see your wolves there, Alphas. But Holden is right. Wasting time wishing to change the past is a fool's game." She settled her eyes back onto me. "So the mate bond drew you back into existence? Interesting..."

Leaning to pour herself some wine, Alphine Hawks showed her wolf. When allowed to speak, she sighed lightly. "While this is all very interesting, and definitely a revelation on the inner workings of our minds... But, what does this have to do with anything? I can't think how hearing of this unfortunate, illegitimate child's troubles will bring this war to an end."

"You are mistaken." Edda corrected. "Alpha Row's affair and Charlie's valiant wolf are very much a part of this war."

She went on to explain to those that weren't already aware, of the history linking my stepfather, Perry, to the raids and his relationship to Drake. My father helped to complete the picture by describing the poison that is Allegiance.

When they had finished, pale faces stared at me in horror. Almost as if expecting I would jerk to life like an enemy zombie and attack at any second.

"That's why she needs to mark me. To complete our bond and remove any conflicting ideas about Drake from her mind." Jack's voice was low, jaw set in a serious expression that surprised me.

Usually, he would be delighted to work in a way to joke about having sex.

I followed his stern gaze to the lovely form of Alphine Wren across the table. She looked upset. I caught the suggestive sheen of tears in her eyes before she ducked her head, long lashes obscuring my view.

Unease peppered my skin in an uncomfortable wave of goosebumps. I barely registered the discussion on war strategy and Pack positioning.

The tension I had felt earlier in Jack, was still there. But now it was bleeding into me.

I pulled my thigh away, busying my hand with pouring myself a glass of wine. The questioning mind is a suspicious little beasty. Mine was particularly vicious with its ideas tonight.

Jack had always been a ladies' man. That was something I knew well.

What I hadn't ever considered – nor had he given me reason to believe – was that he had ever been serious with any of his conquests.

But the tears of an Alpha, or in this case Alphine, are not easily provoked. Not to mention Jack's behavior was speaking all kinds of volumes.

Alphine Wren did not join the conversation, although after taking a few minutes to herself she did sit up straight. Her face an impassive shield to her thoughts.

Jack was also unusually quiet. Definitely missing his cheeky spark.

I gritted my teeth impatiently. Before my fangs go anywhere near that man... he has some explaining to do.