Chapter 12 - Surprise Relations

As the door swung open, I fought to fight the blush that was creeping up my neck.

Wolves have fantastic senses of smell.

Our Beta stood holding a box. He surveyed us coolly for a moment before walking in and brushing past Jack.

He took off his coat and rolled up the sleeves to his shirt, before taking a seat in my kitchen.

I shot a glance at Jack, baffled. The Beta was mated and well experienced, he would have no trouble holding himself back from a young female's haze.

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Ah... Beta, I'm honoured to have you in my home. Can I get you anything?"

Jack surprised me by snorting loudly and I glared at him, shocked that even he could be so insolent.

The Beta smiled fondly at me. "Charlie, call me James. Your mother and I grew up together, you're practically family."

"Oh wow, thank you sir... Ah, I mean James." I babbled, embarrassed.

This time Jack let out a full belly laugh, causing both James and I to glare at him.

"I think you have done quite enough." James boomed, unmistakable meaning behind his words. "I will stay with Charlie. It is past time you return to the party, son."

I gaped between the two of them incredulous. Son? Jack was the Beta's son? How did I not know that very crucial fact?

Jack grimaced. "Come on dad, you know what the haze is like. I was helping her. We didn't have sex."

Face burning, I looked at the floor. I couldn't believe this was happening.

"And you think Julian will see it that way?" James said sourly. Slowly untying his shoes and stretching out his legs. "You know better. I raised you better. You can whore yourself to half the Pack for all I care, but not where it affects Pack law."

"So, Charlie has to be alone forever? Hazed into crazy because of some stupid outdated rule?" Jack's voice was so bitter, it bore a hole in my soul.

Why had that never occurred to me?

"We will talk about this tomorrow at the Pack House." James just sounded sad now.

From my spot staring at the floor, I only heard Jack's grunt and the door slam as he left.

I peeped up at James who was smiling at me ruefully. "Sorry about that Charlie. I know he means well. But you and I both know what happened tonight was against Pack rules for a very good reason."

I flushed again and moved to the sink, desperate to busy my hands.

I poured us both a water, setting them on the table, again noticing the box he had brought.

Following my gaze. James smirked, an expression so like his son I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before.

His eyes were brown, but they had the same hair colour and jaw line.

Beginning to unpack the box, the smell of food burst free as he opened Tupperware.

"It would have been a great shame for you to miss your celebration meal." Was all he said as he pushed a huge tub of food and some cutlery towards me.

Beautifully prepared duck breast with dauphinoise potatoes, steamed carrots, and green beans in butter. I was in heaven.

As I began to eat, I realised that this was without a doubt the strangest night of my life. Sitting in dinner finery, munching fantastic food from Tupperware in my kitchen with the pack Beta.