Present Day

You race forward, feet pounding the frozen ground beneath you. Tree branches whip past you, scratching your face and your exposed arms, but you don't care. The screeching behind you inches ever closer.

Kook would know what to do.

You choke back a sob, forcing your mind to focus on your present situation. There has to be something, you think desperately. Climb a tree? They'd just wait at the bottom till I eventually pass out and tumble down.
Use a branch as a weapon? There's too many of them.

As your thoughts spin, you hear the familiar shriek.

But this time, it's much too close.

A Few Months Ago

The silence is deafening.

Cheeks aflame, you turn and face the bewildered group of people behind you. They're all looking at you and Jungkook like you've just sprouted wings. You clear your throat and inch away from the still-angry maknae. Unease once again fills the room as no one quite knows what to say after your very sudden, heated argument.

After what feels like years, Yoongi, somehow unfazed, takes a seat back on the couch.

"Well, now that that's over, why don't you come tell us about your new department, y/n?" He says casually, picking a piece of lint off of his jacket and ignoring the obvious tension in the room.

Everything is still for a moment, but then something breaks, and you can almost see everyone physically relax, the atmosphere slowly returning to an easygoing, welcoming one. Everyone turns and moves towards the couches. Taehyung smiles and nods at you reassuringly, taking your hand and pulling you over to the couch with him. You sit down between him and Jimin, who smiles warmly at you.

"Sorry about Jungkook-ah. He can be a little hot-headed sometimes. I'm sorry if you felt attacked, especially on your very first day here" Namjoon says earnestly, shooting Jungkook a stern look.

The youngest huffs in response, pouting ever so slightly and sitting down next to Jin, not looking at you.

You smile at Namjoon appreciatively, thanking him for his kindness.

"So, tell us everything! How many people are in your department? How many languages do you know? What sort of work specifically will you be doing?" Hoseok claps his hands, looking at you expectantly.

You chuckle nervously, noticing how all eyes are trained on you. Well, almost all eyes.

"Well, I actually haven't been over to my department yet, so I'm not sure what all I will be doing exactly. But I know I will be doing a lot of translating - I'm just not sure about what form that will take yet. I'm also not sure yet how many people there are besides the director and myself."

They all simply keep looking at you, waiting for you to continue. You feel your palms start to sweat. Come on, y/n, say something interesting. They've been so excited for this department and you have no information for them.

"Um..that's really all I know right now, unfortunately. I'm sorry I don't have more information for you."

Jungkook snorts derisively, and Jin elbows him in the ribs.

"But I do know six languages" you say quickly, glaring at Jungkook. You will not let him make you feel bad anymore today.

"WHAT? Six?? Really?? That's amazing! How long did it take you to learn those? Which ones do you know?" The boys erupt, praising you and asking questions, speaking loudly over each other. You beam, heart soaring with their reactions. You glance at Mi Young, who winks at you. You can almost hear her thoughts: "told you they'd be cool".