Epilogue

Stepping outside, you're immediately welcomed by a warm breeze ruffling your hair and tickling your nose. You sigh happily, closing your eyes and breathing in deeply. The crisp spring air comes as such a welcome change from the harsh winter, so much so that you were beginning to think you would never tire of it. Stepping down from the porch of your family home, you make your way across the grass, towards the nearest hill. Making it to the top, you stand completely still, taking in the scene around you. The slight rustle of the grass and the sway of the trees. Somehow, after all this time, you still are unable to fully believe that you are there.

It had been a month since you arrived back home, but in many ways it felt much longer than that. A smile dances across your lips as you remember the look on your parents' faces when they spotted you walking down that snowy hill, the very hill beneath your feet now. They had stood, rooted to the ground, mouths agape. As though they believed their eyes were playing tricks on them.

As you stand there, the memory reel continues to play, and again you see your parents faces, frozen in shock. They draw closer as you sprint towards them, the image blurring as tears fill your eyes. You remember the feel of their arms wrapping around you, the sound of their own tears echoing in your ears.

You're not sure how long you all stood like that, holding each other as though your very lives depended on it. In that moment, all of the pain, sorrow, and fear melted away, replaced by a completeness you hadn't realized had been missing.

After everything you had been through.

The anguish.

The loss.

The terror.

After all of that.

You were finally home.

The memory warms you to the tips of your toes, happiness radiating and spreading through you.

Opening your eyes, you breathe in the fresh air once more, letting it fill your lungs with all the hope and comfort of Spring.

The sound of running feet interrupts your thoughts, and you turn quickly, heart rate automatically rising in response. But your worry quickly dissipates as you spot the source of the sound.

"Jungkook, you scared me!" You tease lightly as he bounds to you, soft black hair bouncing up and down as he runs. You swat his shoulder as he skids to a halt beside you.

"Sorry, sorry" he rubs his shoulder, flashing that ever-adorable bunny smile at you before taking your hand gently. "Come on, we have family meeting. Namjoon wants to talk to everyone."

You furrow your eyebrows in confusion. "A family meeting? What does he want to talk about?"

Jungkook shrugs his shoulders in response, clearly just as confused as you. "No idea. He didn't say. All he said was to find everyone because we need to talk." Without another word, he turns and starts heading for the house, pulling you along behind him. You follow silently, unable to help the worried thoughts creeping into your mind.

***

"Everyone, listen up. I've been thinking, and we have some decisions to make." Namjoon says, beckoning for everyone to move closer. You all gather in the living room of your parents' home, looking to each other curiously. It quickly becomes clear that no one knows why Namjoon has called a meeting.

"Obviously, a lot has happened since we set out for y/n's parents' house. We are all clearly safe and happy here, and we can absolutely stay." He pauses for a moment, taking a deep breath. "But...we have a new option that we really need to consider. Jungkook being immune to the virus changes things." He looks around, as though waiting for any questions.

"Honestly, I still can't believe he's immune. I mean, who knew that was even a possibility? It's amazing." Taehyung says happily, hooking his arm through Jungkook's.

"It shouldn't be all that surprising. If anyone is going to be immune, of course its going to be the Golden Maknae." Jin teases, ruffling the youngest's hair. Jungkook scowls, swatting his hand away as he reluctantly chuckles.

"Like I was saying-" Namjoon speaks loudly, getting everyone's attention again "- his immunity changes things. What if someone could figure out why, and maybe even finds a cure as a result? What if he's the key to solving this? If that's the case...we can't just hole up in the countryside. We have to find someone who can help."

Silence rings out following his words. Everyone looks at each other, unease permeating the air.

Taehyung is the first to speak, eyes filled with concern as he looks at his leader.

"Hyung...that means going back into the city. Honestly, we barely made it out alive. It's kind of a miracle that we did. Some people are still recovering from injuries, and we lost Min-" he stops, unable to say what everyone is thinking. You feel a lump in your throat at the mention of his name. Even after all this time, the pain had not lessened.

Taehyung clears his throat before continuing, "I don't know if we would survive going back in again."

"And we're not even sure if anyone in the city is still alive, let alone some sort of doctor or scientist who would be able to find a cure." Jimin chimes in, shifting uncomfortably in his seat as he looks around at the others.

"And don't forget, we're out of bullets." Hoseok adds, looking at the floor as he speaks, uncharacteristically subdued.

No one else says a word, the silence returning somehow even heavier than before. Namjoon lets the moment hang in the air, nodding his head in understanding.

"I know. I've thought of all of that. But guys, think about it. I mean really think about it. We might hold the key to saving the world. How can we just do nothing?" His implications of his question are sharp, cutting you to the bone. In that moment, you look past all of the unknowns and all of the fear.

In that moment, you know.

"He's right." The words leave your lips before you can stop them. The boys look up, brows raised in surprise.

"Y/n.." Jungkook murmurs, baffled by your reaction. You look over, eyes meeting his black ones. They fill with concern as they search yours, looking for the reason behind your response, a response he clearly does not agree with. Taking his hand in yours, you smile reassuringly before turning your attention back to Namjoon.

"You're right. If Jungkook's immunity could be the answer to everything, then we have to do something. Even if its dangerous, and even if we don't know for sure whats in the city. We have to try." You say, unable to keep the slight quiver from your voice. Jungkook's hand tightens around yours.

"Y/n, just think about this for a sec-" Jungkook starts, but you cut him off.

"I don't need to think about it." You lock eyes with Namjoon once more. A small smile pulls at the corners of his lips as he looks at you, seeing your newfound determination.

"Lets go back into the city."

A/N
Unedited.
Sorry this took me forever. Can you tell I'm not ready to let go of this story? Thanks again for all of the love and support for my first-ever story. It has been so much fun sharing it with you all! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. As always, please don't forget to vote💜
Much love,
- m.

P.s. in case it wasn't clear, be on the lookout for a sequel👀