21

It's your dad.

The words reverberate, bouncing off the walls and falling on a stunned audience. As if in a dream, you reach forward, taking the phone from Taehyung's outstretched hand and pushing the green button with your thumb. Hand trembling, you raise the phone to your ear.

"H-hello? Dad?" Your voice quivers.

"Y/n? Tha...od, y/n! Where...re...u? Are...ou...k?" Static cuts through, overtaking his voice. But it's definitely his voice on the other end. Tears stain your cheeks, flowing down in torrents.

"Dad, you're cutting out. Where are you? Are you and Mom ok?" You weep, clutching the phone tighter.

"We're fine! We...ill...home! Whe...are...u?" The worry in his voice slices through the static.

"I'm ok, I'm still in the city. Dad, stay where you are. I'm going to come find you. I'm coming home." You choke out, praying he can hear you.

"Honey its too...ngerous...stay...ere. We'll be-" a beeping sounds as the call fails, your hopes crashing down with it.

"Dad? No no no, please. Dad!" You cry out, knowing even as you do so that its no use. Pulling the phone away from your ear, you jam your thumb on the screen over and over again, trying to call him back. But the call won't go through anymore. Legs going weak, you slump to the ground, phone clattering as you drop it. Immediately, one of the boys sinks down beside you. You feel an arm wrap comfortingly around your shoulders.

"What happened? What did he say?" Minho asks softly, squeezing you tighter.

"H-he's alive. They both are. It was hard to tell because there was so much static, but I'm pretty sure he said they're still back home. But then the line went dead." You sniffle, eyes fixed on the ground.

"Well that's great news, right? They're ok." Minho says, rubbing your arm. Tears still flowing freely down your cheeks, you nod in response. Taking a deep breath, you gather your strength, stumbling to your feet.

"I'm going to go get them." You say firmly, using your sleeve to wipe away your tears. All the boys glance at each other uneasily at your words, eyes wide. Namjoon steps forward.

"Y/n...I know how you must be feeling. But we've talked about this. We can't just hastily go off to the countryside. It's so far, and we have no idea what all is out there. Besides who-knows-how-many zombies, we have those crazy men in tanks to deal with too. And on top of all that, you're injured right now. We wouldn't make it very far. I know its hard, but we know that your parents are ok. So we need to be very careful about our next moves. I don't think it's practical to go right now. I'm sorry." He says, voice gentle but firm. His eyes are apologetic, but his words are unbending.

You look around at each man standing in your living room, knowing what you have to do. Knowing how dearly you will miss each one of them.

"I'm going alone. I can't ask you all to risk your lives for my family. This is my decision, and mine alone. Thank you for all you've done for me. I will-" your voice breaks as you choke back tears. "I will miss you all more than I can say."

Knowing they will try to talk you out of it, you turn, heading towards your room to pack a few things. A chorus of indignant voices rises behind you, each talking over the other.

"What?"
"What are you talking about?"
"Alone? What do you mean, alone?"
"If you think for one second we're letting you go, you're insane."
"Why would you say that?"
"Y/n!"
"Excuse me? Get back here right now!"

You smile to yourself, heart already aching at the thought of not hearing those voices anymore. Making it to your room, you grab a bag from your closet and start packing a few supplies. A hand reaches out, encircling your wrist and stopping your actions. You sigh, knowing who it is before you even lay eyes on him.