18

Present Day

"Y/n! Y/n!"

The roar of the river drowns out Jungkook's voice till you can hardly hear him. The water tosses you viciously, pulling you under over and over again. The current is merciless, barely allowing you time to keep your head above water long enough to gulp down air.

"Jung-" water floods your mouth as soon as you open it, choking you. Spluttering, you keep trying to call his name.

"Jung-".

The river is too strong. Your strength is gone, fading with each rush of water. It's icy fingers claw at you, pulling you under. This time, you can't fight it. You sink into the darkness, Jungkook's voice echoing in your mind.

You give one last, feeble attempt, reaching your arm out desperately for the surface. Your vision fades, muscles slowing and seizing. It's all eerily still. The dark, cold water presses in on you, the silence settling in.

You never thought death could be so calm.

You never thought it would end like this.

Arm still outstretched.

Everything shutting down.

So cold.

So quiet.

Through the darkness, something appears. In this dreamlike place, you almost feel arms grabbing you, pulling you towards the surface. In a distant corner of your mind, you wonder what's real.

Everything goes black.

A Few Months Ago

Jungkook's arms encircle you, holding you tightly as he dashes silently through the aisles, following his hyungs towards the back of the desolate store. Your arms wrap tightly around his neck, clinging to him as your heart thuds rapidly in your chest. Somewhere in the front of the store, you hear booming voices, seemingly unafraid of the attention they may draw. Making it to the back of the store, Jungkook skids to a halt, crouching down behind a shelf. He sets you down gingerly, quickly peering around the corner to make sure no one is following you. The boys are lined up beside you, kneeling down behind the shelf, knives held in shaky hands. Your own hands tremble uncontrollably, and you take deep breaths, trying desperately to calm your pounding heart.

"Looks like someone left in a hurry. Why's all this piled here?" A gruff voice asks from the front of the store. You curse silently, realizing too late how suspicious the abandoned pile of supplies looks. Glancing to the side, you see your own regret and fear mirrored in the eyes of your friends. Jungkook takes your hand, his eyes communicating clearly: its ok, let it go. There's nothing we could have done. You nod back, knowing he's right. There was no time for anything else. You focus your attention back on the voices.

"Who cares? Someone made it easier on us! Boss Kang will be happy." Another, higher-pitched voice responds.

Yet another voice chimes in, snorting derisively. "Happy? Boss Kang is never happy."

"Whatever, at least he won't be mad. Come on, let's load up." The higher-pitched voice says eagerly.

In response, you hear the sound of footsteps and objects being moved. The sound of your supplies being hauled away. You close your eyes, leaning your head back, wishing more than anything that you had thought this outing through. You rushed it, and the consequences are here in the form of a twisted ankle and a perilous encounter with a group of men hell-bent on destruction.

An encounter that isn't over yet.

Your heart stalls as you hear footsteps approaching slowly, walking down the aisles. You cover your mouth with one hand, clinging desperately to Jungkook's hand with the other, unable to control the terror pulsing through your veins.