22

Autumn leaves flutter to the ground, catching your eye and drawing you to the window. Turning the knob, you step lightly onto the balcony. You shiver, pulling your sweater tighter around you as you breath in the cold air. Leaning over the railing, your eyes scan the blanket of orange and red leaves littering the ruins of your city below. You sigh, knowing the fallen leaves signal the beginning of winter.

"You ready?" A voice says behind you, pulling you from your thoughts. Turning, you find Namjoon leaning casually against the doorframe. The breeze ruffles his hair as his analytical eyes scan you.

"As I'll ever be" you respond with a weak smile. It's been almost two months since you all started preparing and training for the trek to your parents' house in the countryside. You had been slowly gathering supplies and weapons, studying maps and various routes, and practicing hand-to-hand combat. But even with all the planning, you still felt a sense of dread sitting like a stone in your stomach. While you wouldn't hesitate to risk your own life to find your parents, you couldn't help the fear running through your veins at the thought of the boys risking theirs.

You glance over Namjoon's shoulder, watching the others making final preparations and packing up to leave. Seeing the worry in your face, Namjoon sighs, stepping up and placing a hand on each of your shoulders. His brows furrow as his warm, chocolate-colored eyes find yours.

"We've talked about this, y/n. This is our choice to make. Don't worry about us - we'll be fine. We've been preparing for this for months" he says firmly.

You don't answer, swallowing the lump in your throat as your eyes burn. Your mind spirals, all of the worst possibilities racing by for the millionth time.

But what if the planning was all for nothing? What if I'm making a bad decision? What if everything goes wrong? What if someone gets hurt? What if I lose them? What if...what if...

"Alright, everything is set. Everyone ready to go?" Jin's voice drifts out to the balcony. Namjoon releases you, giving you a reassuring smile before turning and walking back through the open door. You close your eyes, taking a deep breath before following him into the living room.

Inside, the boys sling packs across backs and holster the various weapons you've accrued over the last few months, including several guns, a few hunting knives, a bat, and, oddly enough, a sword, which now rests on Yoongi's hip. Jungkook looks up from the gun he's loading, eyes searching your face.

Worry continues to hold you, steadily rising as the time to leave approaches. Your heartbeat quickens, palms sweating as you shoulder on your own pack and pick up one of the handguns. You can feel Jungkook's eyes still locked on you as you load the gun with trembling fingers.

What if...what if...what if...

You close your eyes, trying to fight your way out of the spiral. Namjoon's voice is distant as he starts directing the others. You shake your head, trying to focus on his words. A warm, steady hand slips into your shaking one. Looking up, you're engulfed in two calm, brown eyes.

"You ok?" Minho asks, squeezing your hand. You hadn't even noticed him come up beside you.

"I'm fine. Just a little nervous is all" you smile half-heartedly. He nods in understanding, still holding your hand in his. Your eyes drift away from his concerned face, unconsciously seeking, eventually landing on a figure across the room. Two stormy, dark eyes bore into yours, seeming to search for something there.

Namjoon claps his hands together, snapping your attention back to him. "Alright everyone, get into position."

Everyone moves without a word, lining up in your predetermined order. You gently pull your hand from Minho's, flashing him a quick smile before finding your place between Jungkook and Taehyung. Unbeknownst to you, Jungkook shoots Minho a glare before directing his attention back towards his leader, storm still raging in his black eyes.