17

I'm not going to make it.

The words echo in your head, numbing you as you continue limping towards the store. Your injured ankle drags behind you, each skid against the pavement sending bolts of pain shooting up your leg. The rain flows down in ceaseless torrents, turning the world a blurry gray.

Shrieks ring out behind you, sending the hairs on the back of your neck standing straight up. You don't know how far behind you they are, but you do know that you're too far from the store. Your only consolation now is the hope that the boys took advantage of the opportunity you gave them and made it to the safety of the store.

Through the rain, you spot a figure hurtling toward you. Your blood freezes in your veins.

The moment you twisted your ankle, you knew it was over. You knew this was coming. But you're still not ready for the end that's racing towards you.

Taking a deep breath, you close your eyes. Tilting your face up towards the sky, you let the raindrops slide down your cheeks as you wait for the searing pain of teeth sinking into your skin. Behind closed eyes, your parents' faces float dreamily, followed by Mi Young, then the boys. All smiling at you, standing by you to the very end. The corners of your mouth tip up, forming a smile. In this moment, the end doesn't seem so bad.

"Y/n!!" A voice yells at you desperately, the sound drowned out slightly by the rain. Your eyes fly open as two hands grab you roughly by the shoulders. "Y/n! What are you doing?? Come on!!" Jungkook's eyes are wide in disbelief as he shakes you slightly, baffled to find you standing in the middle of the road with your eyes shut. He grabs your hand, turning to run.

"I hurt my ankle! I can't run! I'm gonna slow you down, just go!" You shout back, raising your voice over the sound of the storm, pulling your hand from his. He turns back to you, eyes flashing down towards your ankle and back up towards your face. He quickly crouches down, turning again so that his back is facing you. "Get on! Now!"

"But-"

"I said now!"

You climb onto his back, not arguing any further. He stands, wrapping his hands around the back of your thighs securely and hoisting you up in one swift motion. Effortlessly, he starts sprinting towards the store, you clinging to him for dear life. The rain continues its seemingly endless barrage, but Jungkook isn't fazed, running with all his might.

Making it to the front of the store, he weaves through the cars, never slowing down. Peering ahead, you see Taehyung, worry written all over his face as he holds the door open, waiting anxiously for your return. His face brightens when he spots your blurry outlines, but his eyebrows furrow again when he notices Jungkook carrying you.

Your savior races through the open door, Taehyung pulling it shut the moment you clear the thresh hold. Jimin and Jin step up immediately, helping Taehyung barricade the door with various objects. Jungkook finally slows, coming to a stop, broad chest heaving. He stands there for a moment, still holding you as he tries to catch his breath.

"Jungkook, I-" you start, but he begins walking at the sound of your voice, ignoring you. Carefully, he sets you down on a nearby chair, then turns away, not meeting your eyes as he seems to look for something. His eyes land on a large box nearby, and he walks over, still silent as he scoops it up and brings it back to where you now sit. You watch him in confusion, not sure why he's refusing to look at you. Gingerly, he crouches down and lifts your injured ankle up, placing it on the box so that its elevated slightly. The boys have started to make their way over to you, now also watching Jungkook in confusion.

"Kook, what-"

He stands swiftly, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes. He places his hands on his hips as he faces you. Opening his eyes, he finally looks squarely at you. His black eyes are aflame, startling you.