15

Present Day

You choke, icy water rushing into your lungs.  The force of your impact tears you away from Jungkook, the current ripping his outstretched hand from yours. You flail, seeking him in the murky water. But all you feel is the endless, roaring river, suffocating you.

No no no, not again. I can't lose him again.

The current is too strong.

Dark, vicious water pummels you, till you don't know which way is up and which way is down. Panic rises in your chest, taking control of your entire being. You feel dizzy, muscles starting to slow and freeze up. Somewhere in the back of your clouded mind, a voice screams.

I can't die here. Not like this.

You start working your sluggish limbs, praying you're headed towards air. Finally, your head breaks the surface of the water. Spitting out water, you suck in air.

Somewhere far away, you hear your name.

"Y/n! Y/n!"

A Few Months Ago

"What do you mean that's not the military? Who are they?" Taehyung's voice trembles slightly as he looks to his hyung.

"I don't know what they call themselves, but they're bad news. They seem to like all of this death and chaos, like they've been waiting for this to happen. They'll kill people for food or supplies. And...I've heard a couple of them torture people they find wandering around." Minho's voice is urgent as he rushes to the windows, quickly closing the curtains.

The color drains from your face. "The military car...the soldiers...what happened to the soldiers?"

He turns to you, peering around Jungkook, who is still standing between you and him. His eyes soften ever-so-slightly as he sees the distress in yours. "They don't care who they hurt or kill. It's all a big game to them. That's why we have to avoid them at all costs. If they find us...its over."

His words hang in the air, sending chills down your spine.

"Well its a good thing you're part of our group now. We never would have known if it wasn't for you. Thank you." Namjoon nods to Minho.

"Glad I can help. Hopefully they're just passing through, and will be long gone soon. We should be fine if we don't leave here in the next day or so." He replies, nodding back.

"We're not leaving soon, so it doesn't matter." Jungkook throws at him.

"Please lets not get into that again." Yoongi rolls his eyes, quickly cutting off the budding fight between the two hot-headed men who are busy glaring at each other.

"He's right. We can all think about it, and decide that later. Like Minho said, we can't even leave now anyways. No use fighting about it right now." Namjoon says calmly, trying to diffuse the tension. The men huff, looking away from each other, mercifully dropping the subject.

"So...what do we do now?" Taehyung asks, looking around. Unsure, everyone simply looks back blankly.

Your mind works, trying to think of something that would take everyone's minds off of your perilous situation. The world outside had descended into madness, and it wouldn't do you all any good right now to sit and dwell on it. You needed to escape your horrific new reality, if only for a moment.

"Well..I guess we could play a game. I think I have a deck of cards here somewhere."

They all stare at you like you've lost your mind.